Thread: 6D BIM

Login to Give a bone

Default 6D BIM

Anyone know of an organization using 6D BIM?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 6D BIM

Yes. Depending on what your definition of 6D is. We are working on a project currently that is utilizing 4D and 6D BIM and the project deliverable is a Revit 2013 file.

Login to Give a bone

We are interested in BIM for facilities management. We are looking to dialogue with organizations that have transitioned BIM 3D, 4D and 5D documents from construction to an as-built environment

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RBRUCE View Post
    We are interested in BIM for facilities management. We are looking to dialogue with organizations that have transitioned BIM 3D, 4D and 5D documents from construction to an as-built environment
    I'll move this from the Revit Architecture forum to the Facilities Management forum, as I think it would be better served there.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RBRUCE View Post
    Anyone know of an organization using 6D BIM?
    The numbered D's confuse me.

I recently left a facilities role that used BIM post-construction. I began the BIM adoption officially in 2007, when our project management department began rolling it out. We, in the engineering department (overseeing maintenance and being the repository of the construction & renovation data), were only interested in BIM, once MEP firms began to adopt it more.

I think at the time that I left, of 200 projects in the electronic archives, 50-60 had AutoCAD MEP files and 20 (including 1 new building) had Revit MEP files.

For the most part, these files were used in the same way CAD files were. As the 'gatekeeper', I tended to export data from the models to other formats, as needed per user (for descriptions of the varying types of users supported, please see this article). I was working with one of the engineers to do building analysis using the models (we did building troubleshooting and major systems upgrades that fell outside of the realm of the typical renovation projects). This was very small scale at that point, because we only had one complete building modeled, the rest were division renovations in existing buildings.

They are in the midst of large campus upgrade, which is being done in Revit, so there will be a very basic model of all of the buildings at the end of that, which will be filled in during renovations, and, of course, the more detailed models for the new buildings that will be constructed, and the buildings directly touching them. I got the process started, but, as it's a ~10 year project, unfortunately, I was not willing to hang around to see the end of it.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost