See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Layer naming and use standards

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer naming and use standards

Hi CADtag. We are really not too far apart in our thinking. We are using the same concepts but you focus more on the detailed description of the object (perhaps for some degree of BIM) while I focus more on the control of layers for viewing and plotting (the outcome being easier and faster drafting and plotting).

The strong point of the example I gave is that it allows objects relating to different construction stages, drawing-types, view-points and view-IDs to be classified and displayed separately from each other while being placed correctly in relation to each other in the same model-space. I struggled for a long time with the aspect of object-code and eventually decided that for architecture a high degree of refinement was not needed, particularly since consultant models are most likely to be included in an architect's drawing by Inserting or Attaching. BIM is not really an option in 2D models that cannot fully show the vertical component such as would be produced by say a piping program.

A brief explanation of the Drawing-type code: Up to nine different drawing types can be included in the one model by creating a three digit number code that is the sum of relevant individual drawing codes. Thus a wall that is required in every drawing type would have the sum of all the codes i.e. 511 whereas electrical would have 064 and thus appear only in the electrical drawing.
    Sounds complicated but it is all managed by automatic functions for both creation and viewing of layer combinations.

Thanks for your input. You have helped me to clarify my thinking about the logic of the system.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by colinawright View Post
    CADtag thanks for your comments. Can you tell me a little about "SYSTEMS" based approach? This is entirely new to me. I would like to understand.
    I work for an electrical contractor. We do a lot of CAD work for our electricians. Our work varies from small renovations to design-build contracts for major data centers and projects such as the Sears (Willis) Tower (yes, my company actually did that project when the building was originally built).

When we look at it from a systems perspective, we look at different electrical systems. Lighting, Emergency Lighting, Power, Critical Power (more likely found in Hospitals), Mechanical Power, and Ground. We we work with low voltage systems, we often separate those by Tele/Data, Audio/Visual, Security, Fire Alarm. This is just a starting point for us. Different projects have different requirements. When we're doing Data Centers, it's really just what makes the most sense. I personally like to layer objects for the possibility of future visibility control, but I don't let it go overboard. For example, I may put all conduit FROM a particular piece of equipment on the same layer. Other times, I may be able to see a trend and place everything of common purpose on the same layer. For example, on a recent project we had run 13x feeders throughout the space. They all went to different panels, and came from different panels, but they were all feeders for Power Panels located in their own IDF Closets. It made sense for me that if I wanted to see one, I wanted to see them all ... not necessarily WHERE they came from.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry for the late reply, but basically see Cadtag's post.

Login to Give a bone

Hi sbrennan
    Sorry for late response - been distracted.
    You certainly have a challenge deciding about layer separation. Could you provide a sample list of layer names to illustrate your philosophy? It seems that you use both a systems approach and a task based approach according to needs e.g. a diagram of a single lighting sub-system or a multi-system wiring diagram of a switchboard. Is this what you are indicating? I would like to understand what you are doing to see if my automated layer management could handle it.
    Do you work in 3D? If so is it true 3D or isometric or similar? If not how do you manage the vertical component?
    Regards
    Colin

Login to Give a bone

Did you ever separate ACADlayer from ACADUI and make it available to the public?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12