Thread: Material assignment problems

Login to Give a bone

Default Material assignment problems

Hi All
    Can any one help me with this.
    I have a simple render to carry out of a door on a wall but every time I assign materials to the wall, the door frame changes to match the wall cladding and when I assign the material to the door frame the wall cladding changes to match the door frame.
    I have tried to create the wall in one drawing and the door in another then bring the two together but as soon as I do the materials change to be the same on the door frame as the wall.
    I have attached some screen shots to show I am not mad, but this is driving me crazy. I have worked with AutoCAD architecture 2011 2012 2013 and never had this kind of issue. I have downloaded the service pack, reinstalled the program, reset to default settings I have tried every thing I can think of, but maybe I am missing some simple step.
    Can any one help with this.
    I have reverted to using ACA 2013 to get the project moving and I there are no problems so at least I can make money.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Material assignment problems

The images in your PDF are too blurry for me to be sure, but it sounds like your Material Definitions (or at least those for the wall and door frame materials) are using the Drawing Default display settings for the Display Representation that is active in your view. Material Definitions have to use style-level overrides for each definition to be unique.

Login to Give a bone

Door frame with same Material.png
    Door frame with Material changed to Jarrah.png
    Wall with Material changed.png
    Door frame changed to Jarrah material.png

Hi David
    Thanks for taking the time to get back to me on this.
    I am not sure why the PDF's were blurry but I have tried to do it again and screen save in paint I hope this helps.
    I am changing the material in style editor by creating a new material in the material of the wall style properties, named Classic cream, then opening the display properties tab in the Materials Definition Properties (classic cream) then assigning a material in the Other tab or the Display Properties (Drawing default) General medium detail.

I have since discovered that it is not only affecting the door frame but any AEC object in the drawing such as roof slabs with materials added are also being changed and what ever material I assign to the Siding is being assigned to the roof and the door frame.
    So I agree it must be a setting some where that assigns the material to all AEC objects in the drawing.
    I was not able to attach the PNG files for some reason but I can send them to you if you need them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Materials 2013.png

HI David
    I have just had time to look further into this and the problem is that on ACA 2014 the Material Definition properties is using the Drawing Default as the display property source. and ACA 2013 is using the Material Definition override- Doors& Windows as the Display properties source. (See attachment)
    I have never had this problem before, Can you tell me how to change the Display properties source to use the Material Definition override.
    I will have to go back to school to see if I have any information on this
    Thanks in advance John

Login to Give a bone

Hi All
    Thanks to David's Pointer I have solved the problem and I am sad to say it was operator error
    Thanks to all who looked at this.
    I forgot to tick the style override box for the wall and the door frame.
    See attachment.

Attachment 94781

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by john-jr View Post
    Hi All
    Thanks to David's Pointer I have solved the problem and I am sad to say it was operator error
    Thanks to all who looked at this.
    I forgot to tick the style override box for the wall and the door frame.
    See attachment.

Attachment 94781
    Glad to see you worked it out, and thanks for posting back to confirm the solution.