See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: noob to revit modelling - looking for resources on understanding modelling environment particular to pattern based panels

Login to Give a bone

Default noob to revit modelling - looking for resources on understanding modelling environment particular to pattern based panels

I am struggling to understand how to model my pattern based panel - the 'advanced' book sitting in from of me isn't particularly good at spelling out in the in's and outs of how to model by pattern based panel...I have experience in other 3d softwares and I feel comfortable with parametrics (lots of use with grasshopper) but the method for building geometry in revit is just plain baffling. can anyone point to any resources particular to the top of creating geomtry in the caonceptual environment?

Examples:
    1- how to create a line perpenicular to a reference point, from which I will later host a point and run geometry through that point
    2- i tried to play with the offsets of my panel and the loaded panel through up warning messages and didnt load - i have no idea what the right way to make these offsets would be....
    3 - i tried just as a simple experiemnt pushing and pulling the outer vertices on a on a simple rectangular volume for a 1/3 step pattern. once loaded I found that the surface I had to unlock in order to push and pull these points remained at a different scale then the base of the volume even though they 'look' ok in the family editor. Obviously I need to contrain the geometry somehow, but how I have no idea...

just looking for more advanced tutorials or books...thanks

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: noob to revit modelling - looking for resources on understanding modelling environment particular to pattern based panels

You can check out Zach Kron's buildz.blogspot.com
    There's nothing comprehensive out there.

For creating massing geometry, if you use Grasshopper a lot, stick to that. There are two interop methods to using GH >> Revit: SAT files to host panels or walls/roofs/floors or using a plugin like Chameleon, Hummingbird, GeometryGym, or there are a few more now. Each workflow has its pros and cons. Personally, I'v been using the GH+Chameleon+GeometryGym >> Revit for a huge grid shell and it's going very well. Chameleon for the panels and GeometryGym for the structure. I prefer dealing with the parametric massing and surface panelization in Grasshopper.

For the pattern-based-panel families, they are frustrating to create. Even simple things seem very difficult. If you have a particular example of something you want to make, upload the family so far and some sketches. I'd be happy to try to help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: noob to revit modelling - looking for resources on understanding modelling environment particular to pattern based panels

Thanks Damon! I appreciate your feedback and knowing I'm not alone in feeling like things are far mor difficult then they ought to be.

Just out of curiosity, have you played around with Dynamo at all? It seems (on the surface) to be a want to be Grasshopper - I just wonder if it's as mature (doubtful) and whether it can do the job I have relied on GH to do in the past.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I have not used Dynamo, yet. From my understanding, it is not as mature as GH, but since it is integrated with Revit, it has some advantages for what it can accomplish in Revit over a workflow that relies on interop plugins. CASE Inc. has been doing Dynamo trainings this year and probably has some resources on their blog and Zach Kron is working on Dynamo, too, so you'll find a lot of information about it on buildz. So far for my professional work, I've gotten everything I need from Rhino+GH+Chameleon+GeomGym >> Revit. I can only name one instance where the tools we already use couldn't do what we wanted. Dynamo may have helped, but I didn't try.