Thread: One of me, but three computers

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default One of me, but three computers

Hi there

I've recently started programming for the Revit API and I keep hitting the same problem. Sometimes I work at home, sometimes at one work place, sometimes at the other workplace. How can I synchronize these three machines so I always have the same (latest) version of the macro files? It's the age of the internet - I don't want to run around with USB keys in my pocket...

The files are here: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Macros\2014\Revit\AppHookup so that's a start

I've looked at http://satyadeepk.in/dropbox-folder-sync/ but am concerned that Revit might trip on the symbolic link to my macro now moved to dropbox. Would it?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: One of me, but three computers

If it's just you, then drop-box (or any other similar cloud storage) should be fine. I've used it before with no ill effect. Just don't use a "symbolic link", rather copy the entire project folder into your drop-box shared folder. You might even want to adjust the position of your drop-box shared folder so their paths are the same on all PC's.

If you want something which will even allow you to have multiple people working on the same source code at the same time while keeping all in sync, then see if you can use CVS/SVN/GIT. Some advice on free servers offering these concurrent syncing mechanisms:
    I think that VS (full not the Express) can directly link to these, Or if you're using ShapDevelop it can also directly use SVN (at least). Else you install something like TortoiseSVN/CVS or a GIT client to turn a folder into a shared copy of what's on the server.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Oh ... just re-reading your post. You're referring to the "macros" in the special folder for the built-in SharpDevelop environment's "macros" - not a DotNet addon project. Yeah, then I think Drop Box might be a problem - unless you manually copy these all the time.

In such case I might think SVN/CVS would be a better solution. You can set any existing folder to a "new project" and have it sync. Then you can add any other folder on the same PC or other PCs to sync with that project. Just do a google on TortoiseSVN (IMO easiest to use). One extra benefit is you would have a change history for each time you synced the project, so if something goes wrong you can revert to an older version at any time.

Login to Give a bone

You can try BitTorrent Sync: http://www.bittorrent.com/intl/fr/sy...gn=Sync_110513 (sorry the link may be in french). It has the ability to sync multiples folders. The biggest disadvantage is that it is peer-to-peer, the three machines must be turned on simultaneously in order to be able to sync.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

@irned I know SVN/CVS is the solution in the end when I start sharing, but I'm still learning so I hoped I could avoid learning git just now. So for now it's copy/paste from a dropbox folder.

@maxence I don't leave my computers turned on when they're not in use.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Lithgow View Post
    So for now it's copy/paste from a dropbox folder.
    I personally find SVN very easy to use, especially with the TortoiseSVN client. The hardest part is to copy-n-paste the server's address into the folder's setup dialog and type in your password. Thereafter it's a simple matter of right-click sync to send your changes to the server and update any files from the server - it even colour codes the Explorer view so you can see which files are out of date. It's when you want to do other stuff like download an older version of the file or compare differences from one sync to the next where it's not a simple operation any-more.

Anyhow, if you're set on using DropBox for this, you might want to look at some Syncing software to automatically copy new files to/from drop-box. Perhaps something like this: http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/

I like the idea behind it's Realtime Sync - it would copy a new file as and when it gets saved. And it provides you with a command-line to start it - so you could easily add that to a shortcut on your Start->All Programs->Startup menu to have it start as soon as you log on.

Login to Give a bone

You can also try Mercurial. You can use BitBucket to host your repositories.