Thread: Best way to share and edit drawings between remote teams?

Login to Give a bone

Default Best way to share and edit drawings between remote teams?

I'm working on a project where the Architect is located in one part of the country and we (Engineers) are in another. What's the best cloud option to share our drawing files in a manner that allows for revision tracking, editing and commenting? We want to avoid emailing files back and forth as this can be cumbersome.

I remember Buzzsaw used to facilitate this but is that still around?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best way to share and edit drawings between remote teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Emmar01 View Post
    I'm working on a project where the Architect is located in one part of the country and we (Engineers) are in another. What's the best cloud option to share our drawing files in a manner that allows for revision tracking, editing and commenting? We want to avoid emailing files back and forth as this can be cumbersome.
    At the risk of figuratively choking on my own tongue, as I've never even thought these words, let alone offered them publicly... If using 2014, have you considered using Autodesk 360 + Design Feed?

*gulp*
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Buzzsaw is still around, and available. and in some ways is better than the much hyped and deservedly maligned 'cloud' offerings. There is a cost involved, but it's an honest cost.

360 and DesignFeed are nothing I can recommend at this point. The management and organizational features are abyssmal, suitable maybe for a couple of one-man shops, but in terms of trying to get a real project done with multiple users it a) has squat for management or reporting b) is untrustorthy c) presumes everyone has fiber everywhere (e.g. a bandwidth hog).

Best product i've found or used has been Documentum eRoom. For intergroup/remote hosted it's the best of a bad lot.

Login to Give a bone

I have worked with smaller companies with limited budgets using Dropbox. If this option is used, then you have to define and enforce file management guidelines (file/folder naming, workflow) to be successful. Ultimately, the size of the project team (internal and external) really dictates the level and complexity of the solution you choose.