Thread: Crash when clicked on print button

Login to Give a bone

Angry Crash when clicked on print button

My revit 2014 update 2 crashed today when I clicked on the print button. There was no recovery file. What can be causing this error that only affects revit, no other program? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem to avoid loosing my work again?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Crash when clicked on print button

Saving your file before printing will at least protect the work you've completed.

Since it is crashing during printing, check that your driver(s) is compatible. I saw a situation many years ago where a workstation was using its own version of a plotter's driver instead of the more recently updated version on the server that shared the plotter. That incompatibility crashed Revit every time until the driver was replaced. It could also be that you are printing too many sheets, like many elevations with hatch patterns or images that are generating larger plot files than your system is willing to contend with. Try printing one sheet to try to pin down the circumstance. If you narrow it down to a specific sheet, try turning off DWG links in the view(s) on the sheet, adjust the Detail Level so it isn't trying to plot very fine details that are too fine for the scale of the view.

There isn't much more I can tell you without more information, more clues.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Crash when clicked on print button

We have the same issue from time to time. All drivers up to date, Our Rule #1, "Save before you plot." It's random and doesn't always happen. Saving is simple, fast and best of all free. You can't save often enough. Our Plotter is old so I tend to think it's related to it's limited memory and it's slowness in general.