Thread: USING QUICK SELECT

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default USING QUICK SELECT

I have a dwg with numerous polylines that represent sections of sewer force main in a collection system.
    After doing a data extraction of the various line types that represent the different sizes, I noticed some of the parameters
    needed to be edited. the one parameter that is unique is the length, so I thought by using the quick select dialog box I
    would be able to highlight that one polyline by length. After selection all the correct selections and picking "equal to" and
    imputing the actual length, let's say "3114.28", I get 0 entities found. After numerous attempts and going online to find
    a solution and searching this forum, I finding came up with the solution by imputing the search as "greater than 3114" and then
    going back imputing "less than 3115" and it highlighted the correct polyline.

I guess my question is, can you only use whole numbers for a length search and not real numbers? In the this scenario.
    Also the filter command did not give me the option of filtering for a specific length of a polyline.

Any thoughts, comments, and/or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Robert

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: USING QUICK SELECT

Thinking "out loud"...

I would check the units, as your precision might be set to just two decimal places (3114.28 ), but the line may actually be slightly different (3114.27765...).

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I did think of that Coloradomrg, and my units are set to 2 decimal places. And when you list that line it shows the length as 2 decimal places. If you change the units to 6 decimal places, it shows the length to 6 places. It would seem like AutoCAD would recognize this and use whatever decimal place is set at the time.

Unfortunately these polylines were traced over a base map and do not have a specific length to the nearest hundredths place. This project has
    been ongoing for almost 20 years and has evolved over time and now we are tasked with exporting this to a dxf file that can be used by our engineers in a sewer modeling program.

Login to Give a bone

the precision set via UNITS is for display purposes _only_, and has nothing to do with any information in the drawing database. When you are dealing with floating point mathematics (e.g. autocad) in the drawing, there's really no such thing as an integer. Internally, all points and measurements are calculated using floating point math, so even though you keyed in "16" as the distance to draw a line, the real value in the drawing database is 16.0000000xx

It get's even more fun when you include 'angles', because internally there are no degrees. All angles/directions are calculated using radians. And since radians are based on the transcendental number pi....... they never really resolve.

Another factor is that 'length' is not an inherent property - it's a _calculated_ property, resulting from the locations of all the vertices in the pline, plus accounting for the bulge factor in arcs/splines etc.

This is all part of why the PEDIT M Join option lets you put in a fuzz factor. Just because something looks the same at 10,000 ft, doesn't mean it is.