Thread: Description tied to sketch

Login to Give a bone

Question Description tied to sketch

I wanted to find out if the initial skecth and extrusion can be tied to the description in the iProperties? In other words if I have a part that is going to be made from a 1/2" thick plate 8" wide and 18" long. When I create my sketch I have a rectangle that is 1/2" x 8", finish the sketch and extrude the part 18". When I look at the iProperties the description would automatically show the material as being 1/2" thick, 8" wide and 18" long.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Description tied to sketch

I'm not an iLogic guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I almost got it to work.... almost...

In a new part, create an iLogic rule, name it what you will, and paste this code into it:

iWidth = RoundToFraction(Width, 1/16, RoundingMethod.Round)
    iLength = RoundToFraction(Length, 1/16, RoundingMethod.Round)
    iDepth = RoundToFraction(Depth, 1/16, RoundingMethod.Round)

iProperties.Value("Project", "Description") = iDepth & "x" & iLength & "x" & iWidth

Click OK. If you check the iProperties Description field, you will see: 0x0x0

Open the Event Triggers dialog. Doubleclick on "Any Model Parameter Change" and put a check next to your rule. Do the same for "Part Geometry Change"

Start a new sketch and draw a rectangle. For the first dimension enter the exact phrase: Length = 18. For the second enter the exact phrase: Width = 8. Finish the sketch. In the Extrude value field enter the exact phrase: Depth = 1/2 This is crucial, as you are defining the parameters that the iLogic rule needs to execute correctly.

Click OK. RMB on your rule and select "Run Rule"

Using the values you provided, this will populate the Description field with: 1/2x8x18 (I do not know how to get the " character to show up. This is the "almost" portion..)

Modify any of the parameters and the Description will update.

A long and winding reply, but it works... almost...

HTH
    Last edited by Bunny; 2014-02-26 at 01:04 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Description tied to sketch

Bunny, Thank you for the response. I have not used iLogic very much, but when I tried your solution it worked very well. The fact that you couldn't get the " marks to show, I couldn't either, is not a problem. Everyone involved, engineering and maintenace, agreed that they were not necessary. Againg thankt you for the information.

Jim

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Description tied to sketch

You are welcome...