See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Lineweights vs ctb files when both are selected to plot

Login to Give a bone

Default Lineweights vs ctb files when both are selected to plot

We are beginning to try and use more lineweights with our layers in order to work better with Microstation. My question though is this - if you have both a lineweight associated with a layer and still plot with a ctb file - which pen weight would AutoCAD use when you are plotting?

I am familiar with the settings within the plot dialog box - but in 2012 you can have BOTH plot by lineweight AND use plot styles selected at the same time. So which one does AutoCAD use?

My problem would be this - we want drawings that use an assigned lineweight to use those widths regardless of what pen table someone is using. I do not want to switch to a stb file system yet. I want to continue to use the ctb pen tables we have created as many users are familiar with those - but want to begin the transition to an stb pen table by getting users familiar with lineweights.

Thanks,

Greg-

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Lineweights vs ctb files when both are selected to plot

When a CTB is assigned, the color to pen mappings in the CTB will rule as far as linewight -- if that color has an explicit lineweight assigned. One of the lineweight options in the pen mapping is 'use object lineweight. So you could assign explicit weights to a subset of colors - say 1 through 10, and assign the remainder to 'use object lineweight'.

In that scenario your base colors would control the weights, and the extended colors would use object/layer lineweight assignments.

Login to Give a bone

When you are saying that the color has an explicit lineweight assigned - you are talking about within the ctb file itself correct? If so then I can see how the scenario would work with a subset of numbers being allocated for lineweights.

What doesn't make sense is within AutoCAD help on this topic- it says "Plot with Plot Styles, Specifies whether plot styles applied to objects and layers are plotted. When you select this option, Plot Object Lineweights is automatically selected also."

then

"Plot Object Lineweights, Specifies whether lineweights assigned to objects and layers are plotted. This option is unavailable if Plot with Plot Styles is selected. "

They both seem to counter what each says - if one is turned on - then the other is automatically selected, and yet is also unavailable if it is selected.......

I would think if an assigned weight is assigned to a layer that should override what color it is. Why would you bother assigning weights otherwise? (unless you are using a stb)

Thanks,

Greg-

Login to Give a bone

If you create a new from scratch CTB file, the defaults for both plotted color and plotted lineweight are to use the Object properties (whether assigned by layer or by entity). You have to over-ride that if you want , for example, RED to plot out black with a lineweight of 0.05mm.

With a fresh, unedited ctb, if you've got a red line with a lineweight of 2mm in the drawing, it will show up red and really fat. If your CTB assigns the pen color Black and pen weight of 0.05mm to RED, that same line will print out skinny and black, regardless of layer/object properties.

With STB, everything defaults to a normal plot style, until you create a different one and assign it (either bylayer or by object)