See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Using Revit 2014 in a Virtual Machine

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Using Revit 2014 in a Virtual Machine

Hello All,

I've recently switched to a Mac and now run Revit 2014 with a Parallels 9 virtual machine. Generally, everything seems to working as it should however I've noticed a few little things that are starting to really affect my workflow. The first is the "sluggish" or delayed response from the mouse when zooming in or out in any view. I've never experienced this before and was hoping there may be a workaround or hack to resolve this. Second, are the resolution issues on the retina display. I've heard that Autodesk wouldn't be optimizing Revit for the retina display and was wondering if anyone had any more details on this issue or had found a display/resolution configuration in either windows or parallels that provides the optimal graphics.

Your tips and advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using Revit 2014 in a Virtual Machine

I run Revit 2014 and 2015 with a Parallels 9 virtual machine using OSX 10.9.2 (Maverick's) on both an "Early 2009 Mac Pro" and a "2012 Mac Book Pro Retina Display"

extracted from a whitepaper I prepared for the company I work for...
    Retina Display Using a Parallels VM
    Working with Windows on a retina display using a VM is very similar to the experience of Boot Camp. Parallels Desktop 8/9 provides enhanced Retina display support for Windows 7 and Windows 8 Virtual Machines. Go to Virtual Machine menu ► Configure... ► Hardware ► Video to see Resolution options for your Virtual Machine.

Definitely check out these support articles:
    Parallels Mac support article on troubleshooting retina display issues with Windows.

Retina Display using Boot Camp
    When you first boot up Windows in Boot Camp on a retina display, everything will be very tiny. The easiest way to fix this is to change the display resolution in Windows to something much lower. However, you may notice that text and graphics looks a little blocky and pixelated. This bothers some people more than others - it's very subjective.

The other option is to change the DPI resolution. Windows will scale up the size of screen elements by the indicated percentage, making it easier to read. 125% works great, and 150% may work okay, but you'll start to notice various elements of the UI getting a bit out of whack. 200%, which theoretically would be similar to the way OS X works with retina, unfortunately will "break" many applications, including Revit. However, keep in mind that if you use an external display, the DPI setting will be reflected on that display as well.
    With regards to mice - one one the best mouse I've using Macs with windows is The Apple Mouse (formerly Apple Mighty Mouse) is a multi-button USB mouse - Ive had no issues whatsoever...
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional