Thread: Scheduled Structural Link

Login to Give a bone

Default Scheduled Structural Link

I have created models of floor and ceiling framing and linked them into a base model.

The frame models have joists, LVL, dimensional lumber and TJI, and I seem to be having a problem with schedules.

When I create a framing schedule, I end up with double the number of framing. Forex, if I give each of them a description like LVL, TJI and 2x6, those descriptions show up in the schedule, yet I also have the exact same number of entries with no descriptions. The blank entries are shown as belonging to the Linked Models, but that's the only info I can get from the schedule.

Has anyone a possible solution for using the schedule in the base model?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Scheduled Structural Link

I have never had to schedule or tag from a link - a few things you could think about to work around the issue.
    Copy/Monitor your framing in (filter a 3D view to show only the framing and you should be able to do this in about 3 minutes)
    This will then allow you to tag and schedule from your main model - and still control the framing in your linked model. I believe this would solve your double up issue.

Another option I see in the schedule is to add the category "model" to the schedule, and you can then use this as a filter, not sure if this will help you as I dont have a model I can link into another at this point to try it out. You can also select an option in your filters to only choose those that show LVL TJI (from description).

Perhaps play around with filters first, as they will likely give you a result, other than that I think copy monitor is a relatively easy solution for you but it does add another level in that you need to update your model if there are any changes in the linked model. This also means you can turn your framing models off and only use them as an updater if there are changes.

Also another option I am not that familiar with - keynoting.
    You could use a keynote schedule to list your framing, but it is less automated than a framing schedule and will require to be set up and maintained more.

Login to Give a bone

Dumb question but did someone accidentally copy or insert the linked model twice?
    That's the first thing that comes to my mind.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing, so I removed the link, saved, shut down and reopened. I reinserted the link and it still happened. I did discover that if I bound the link, the duplicate readings disappeared - I'll have to check with the boss about doing that in the actual product, though.

Login to Give a bone

Found a solution to this problem, after working on lots of other things for our model.

In the properties dialog for the framing piece, in the portion named "Structural", there is an entry titled "Enable Analytical Model" with a check box.

With that box checked, a linked in model's structural framing will have mostly blank lines in the main model's framing schedule, equal to the number of pieces with that box checked.

Located them all, cleared all the check boxes and the mostly blank lines vanished.

Weird but it works fine now.