See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: explaining Civil-3D to the casual ACAD user

Login to Give a bone

Default explaining Civil-3D to the casual ACAD user

In my company, I'm the closest thing to a full-time CAD tech. A few engineers in our other offices know just enough ACAD to be dangerous. (Fortunately, they're not using Civil-3D.) I cringe when they send me their work to finish.

In two separate occasions, other engineers have been impressed and amazed with plan & profile drawings I've worked up using Civil-3D. They ask about it; how do I explain the differences in Civil-3D from AutoCAD, and that it's still the same base package?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: explaining Civil-3D to the casual ACAD user

I've often described it as an onion, where the Civil 3D functionality is built on top of Map 3D, which itself is built on top of AutoCAD... Thus inheriting the functionality of each nested layer.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: explaining Civil-3D to the casual ACAD user

Civil3D, like the other vertical products, uses custom objects to simplify the work needed by the user and extend the information beyond what is available in vanilla AutoCAD. These objects "know" what they are, in that they are limited in behaviour and properties the same way a line has endpoints and not a radius/diameter while a circle has a center but no end points. The properties and methods are applicable to the design field ie. a Civil3D surface doesn't have a tensile strength but may have a material and/or density for cut/fill calculations.