I'm guessing I need to go to the some of the local schools and actually check out their curriculums, but it sure seems to me that the newest cad tech's aren't very adept at drafting, or using AutoCAD. In the past I have purposely hired 'drafters' with little to no experience because their schooling was decent enough that all I had to teach was the company stuff, AutoCAD commands and uses needed reminders not full on lessons. No past experience has typically translated to less issues learning a new way of doing things.

Some of my observations in the last 3 hires made in the past year, 2 of them were rookies and 1 was somewhat experienced:
Keyboard commands and command modifiers are nearly foreign concepts.
AutoCAD customization is a completely foreign concept.
Xrefs and block knowledge are extremely limited.
Drafting concepts are non-existent. Drawings are nearly impossible to read on the first pass.

When I went to school to become a Drafter, not a cad tech, I learned how to board draft, how to write (simple) lisps and customize my AutoCAD to work for me. I learned about and created block libraries, and learned how and why to use xrefs. These to me were some of the most important lessons I had. Sure seems to me that at least locally, someone is dropping the ball!