See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Layer standards vs Color Standards

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Layer standards vs Color Standards

I recently switched companies. The new company that I came to uses only the first 12 colors of the ctb file. At my old company we used tons of the colors 1-255. Since I have been here I asked if I could create a new color chart that included more colors. I did not change any of the line weights that were already used but I just added a bunch. They originally agreed to it but I guess they never fully understood what I was doing since they had never seen anything like it. My question is how many people out there only use a few colors out of the 1-255 color chart for a ctb? How many use a lot? And how many people actually set the color with the layer and never are allowed to change the color because that is the standard? My take was as long as the layer is a company layer, what difference does it make it blue or red as long as it plots out at 0.5 mm? To me if you are using a ctb file you should know line weights not just colors.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer standards vs Color Standards

Quote Originally Posted by bragone View Post
    I recently switched companies. The new company that I came to uses only the first 12 colors of the ctb file. At my old company we used tons of the colors 1-255. Since I have been here I asked if I could create a new color chart that included more colors. I did not change any of the line weights that were already used but I just added a bunch. They originally agreed to it but I guess they never fully understood what I was doing since they had never seen anything like it. My question is how many people out there only use a few colors out of the 1-255 color chart for a ctb? How many use a lot? And how many people actually set the color with the layer and never are allowed to change the color because that is the standard? My take was as long as the layer is a company layer, what difference does it make it blue or red as long as it plots out at 0.5 mm? To me if you are using a ctb file you should know line weights not just colors.
    Welcome to AUGI!

A while back I took on a similar challenge, and ended up recreating a drawing to depict various CTB's, which may save you some effort... See the attachment in this old post; here's a small screen shot:

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer standards vs Color Standards

That is why we moved away from the CTB. It hampers the presentation too much. We now assign lineweights and plot styles to each layer and occasionally an object or two. We also use Named Plot Styles or the STB style of plotting.

Unfortunately, not all programs understand or cater to the STB methodology.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt