Thread: Text Color

Login to Give a bone

Default Text Color

Ok, First I would like to say don't hate, lol.. Please. I'm not sure if I put this in the wrong area. I'm an old Augi user but have not been on in along time. Also, I'm an homegrown AutoCAD user so please excuse me if I sound dumb to Revit.

I have been searching for a way to change Text Color. I understand there are no layers. There are filters and text styles. I have not found anything to direct me in changing the color of text. Also, tyring to make the color determine the boldness like color table for autocad.

Is there a file or way to customize revit like Autocad cui? or a place to do that in Revit?

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Text Color

Many of Revit's elite would stress the importance of completely separating AutoCAD from Revit in your mind. Though they may have some similarities and have some of the same tools, they are very different Programs.

Text color is controlled by the Type Properties of the Text. You easily can create more Text Types by using "Duplicate..." under Type Properties and then modifying the parameters (including color) as needed. Use the Type Selector (the pull-down at the top of Properties) to control the current Text Style. Also, Revit does not function the same was as AutoCAD and Lineweights are not color-dependent. You will more or less be limited to "Bold" text.

The Revit interface is far less flexible than AutoCAD's CUI.

Login to Give a bone

I'll add to Corey's comments - the Revit interface is based on WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) ... so you set the boldness in the text type with settings similar to what you would do in MSWord or MSExcel. If you change the color of the text in the type properties, it will print in that color.

Login to Give a bone

I want to say thanks for you both responding to my question and giving me good info. I appreciate it. I definitely understand the "WYSIWYG" and that is funny.

The hurtle is trying to get my mind out of AutoCAD mode.. So with text, its just bold, some at my office think its not bold enough... I think it looks fine. Is there a way to adjust the boldness? Ah! I see the light with the text color. So is the text treated as family type so to say? not even sure if i'm saying the correct thing. It's not really a style type but its own object?

I think i have just answered my own question about making it bold. in the properties edit type there is an option for bold and it is NOT checked.

Sorry, but you two have the bell ring in my noggin! lol.. So, question then.. So I have been trying to figure out the best way to do notes for the office. As for AutoCAD my users do there notes in word and link them in most of the time. I see that you can not do that with Revit. But! What I did see was I can create the notes in AutoCAD and actually drag and drop the dwg file right into my revit note view. When I did that it carried over the color of the text and I couldn't figure out how to change it. I would just simply change it by selecting it "the text". then hit the edit type and make any adjustments correct?

Login to Give a bone

That would be the way to change it.
    Better option would be to compile a general notes list. We created a legend with all the general notes we'd generally ever use with spaces to "fill in the blanks" right in our template. Start a project, notes are there, edit what you need, delete what you don't.
    I generally never try to bring in anything from acad into revit (I don't even like linked acad files) as they can cause issues.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

You can use the "Insert CAD" tab instead of drag and drop and set the Colors to black and white and then the text will come in black.