Thread: Google Images

Wish List Administration

Default Google Images

Summary: The lack of access to printing images in my drawings is totally unacceptable.

Description: Has anyone at Autodesk actually worked in the Civil field? Are you kidding me? I can't print with images? That's why I am still working in older versions and refuse to install 2014.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Civil 3D - Alignments

Submitted By: Elaine Kilgore on 03/20/2014

Default Re: Google Images

Google Earh/Maps images have no place in a professional drawing that is being signed and sealed for construction or permitting. Neither the quality nor the accuracy is adequate for anything more precise that a low quality planning draft proposal sketch. that applies to Bing Imagery as well. In at least one of my georeferenced drawings, the bing imagery in 2014 was over a mile off in horizontal location.

For the vast majority of the US, there are freely available georeferenced imagery sources with known, documented, flight dates and resolution. If not freely available, there are commercial sources that cover even more. why anyone would settle for imagery that is primarily developed for use in smartphone GPS is befuddling.

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    why anyone would settle for imagery that is primarily developed for use in smartphone GPS is befuddling.
    Because they made it easy to access and were fairly up to date. Accuracy, I am not certain on.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Quote Originally Posted by Wish List System View Post
    Summary: The lack of access to printing images in my drawings is totally unacceptable.

Description: Has anyone at Autodesk actually worked in the Civil field? Are you kidding me? I can't print with images? That's why I am still working in older versions and refuse to install 2014.

I'm confused....

Is there a wish in that personal rant somewhere?

If so, how does it apply to Civil 3D Alignments?
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    I'm confused....

Is there a wish in that personal rant somewhere?

If so, how does it apply to Civil 3D Alignments?
    Good question. Maybe you should report this wish.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    Because they made it easy to access and were fairly up to date. Accuracy, I am not certain on.
    easy to access, agreed. up to date? maybe, but maybe not. without a legitimate date for the source, all one can say is 'sometime before now'. migt be 6 weeks, might be six months, might be a couple of years.

uncertain accuracy -- AGREED. and that's exactly why Google/Bing/Apple/etc imagery does not belong in contract drawings. If you can't stand up and defend the accuracy in court, it's unusable.

here's a screenshot of the the least accurate imagery I've run into. Georeferenced drawing, lighter aerials at right are correct, red line shows the offset in the Bing image.badgeomaps.jpg

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Google Images

Google Images