See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worksets owners

Login to Give a bone

Default Worksets owners

Hi, How do you assign the ownership of worksets? How can the BIM administrator do this step?
    I can see in the Worksets dialog box, the Owner field has the name of the user "User1" "User2" etc. but shouldn't this be set by the administrator?

Many thanks
    H.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Worksets owners

As each user creates their own local file, they will be able to check out or "own" worksets. These are not assigned by an administrator. A typical recommendation is for users to "borrow" elements instead of "own" worksets. This allows for a much more collaborative workflow.

Login to Give a bone

The best approach is to do nothing. You seldom need to check out entire worksets. Let the users do their work. If they change any objects, Revit will note them as borrowed and will not let anyone work on them at the same time. When the work is done, the user saves to central and Revit releases the work. It will take a while to learn how to assign work to a team so that they are not stepping all over each other. I have eight architects working on one of our projects. They never check out worksets and never get in each other's way.

If someone has borrowed a wall to work on it and someone else needs to add a door to that same wall, they user may request permission from the borrower. It's best not to cross-assign work like that. I usually try to assign work by area. Susie does the first floor plan, Billy the second. Someone else does the stairs etc. This way they don't need to ask permission and wait for a reply.

One warning: Do NOT think of worksets as layers!

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

A workset is like a bookshelf in a library. We don't borrow shelves, we borrow books (elements). When you add a wall it is assigned to the Active Workset. When you Synchronize with central Revit becomes the librarian and manages who can borrow the book. As users we interact with books. Editing elements in the project results in our borrowing them. Revit tells us we can't borrow something when someone else already has.

Revit will allow us to borrow a bookshelf (workset) too, but it isn't normal or recommended to do so unless you want to interfere with routine editing of elements assigned to that workset (bookshelf).

Login to Give a bone

One of the most common mistakes is creating too many worksets. Keep the number of worksets clean and minimal and only add when necessary for file management (not layer management). Things like Revit links, CAD Imports, and disciplines are good candidates for worksets. The less worksets you have, the easier the file will be to manage.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you all for the helpful answers...One more question, who then creats new worksets?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We create and manage User Created worksets. Revit initially creates worksets Shared Levels and Grids and Workset 1, when we enable worksets. After that we manage them and make and manage any others that we need.

Revit deals with the worksets for Families, Project Standards and Views. We don't have to do anything with them other than go about our work. We can become the borrower of one them if we alter the nature of what they are related too. For example we can place dimensions all day but we won't borrow the Dimension works (Project Standards) unless we change one of the properties of the dimension style, such as making the tick larger or changing the font assigned to it.

Login to Give a bone

If I understand your question right, you want to know who is responsible for creating and managing worksets. Large firms may likely have a BIM Manager that is responsible for these kinds of tasks. Some firms may assign a "Digital Design Manager" for the project. Many though, just have a team leader that assumes the roll. All of this is usually based upon complexity. The more complex the project, the more likely you will need a dedicated person to manage the digital design process.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks again, so, are worksets created in the central or local file? I'm under the impression that when they get created, they become the 'Ownership' of the creator. I'm just trying to understand the control side of it, i.e. Where are they created (Central or Local) etc.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you all for the kind help, I'm really keen to know if Worksets are created in the Central or Local file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast