See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sheet management

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default sheet management

Hi,

Anyone using a different RVT for Sheet Management alone where you would link the RVT with the actual model?
    Care to share some experiences?

is it worth it?
    Is it too much of a pain to become useful?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    J

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: sheet management

Usually not worth it, though I guess it depends on the complexity of the project. Primarily I think it is a workflow thing for our company. If in the process of annotation you find something that needs to be modified in some way, you then need to open the main model and make the changes and deal with all the stuff that goes with a process like that like Revit telling you it won't allow you to open a linked file without unloading it from the host file. I guess it could work if you have prototype buildings that are just populated on different sites, then you could probably realize some savings. But if you are dealing with unique buildings on a unique site, probably going to be more of a headache than anything else.

My two cents...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Many thanks, Devin.

You have good points addressed. Most strikingly the hindrance of one being unable to open a linked file. An ordeal.
    We are working on a single building so I guess there is no point of having a separate RVT, like I asked. the issue is raised when we wanted to make sure that no company titleblocks would get issued, i.e., uploaded, with the central model. by having a separate rvt for sheet management alone one could guarantee that only the model was shared with the external teams.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jagostinho134030 View Post
    the hindrance of one being unable to open a linked file.
    You can open a linked file if you do it from a second session of Revit. Session A has the architectural with structural linked in, and session B has the structural file opened directly and editable.....perfectly possible.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I stand corrected.
    But a second session takes a bit of more resources than a single one with two files opened, doesn't it?

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We annotate where the geometry is. The Sheets are also based on where the geometry is. Using a single model for sheets creates one more file to manage, will have several people in it, and a ton of links... way too slow for us

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

J,

The workflow is more complicated when you're trying to have a separate model for just the sheets. You will need to work on project coordination much more than you would if the sheets are within the same model as the geometry (this is the typical way I've seen it). But there is nothing stating that you can't do this. When it comes to general details for multiple buildings, you could go through the work of creating the detail and then inserting that view into multiple projects. Or you could create it in one model and print the associated sheets from there. Again, you're really going to have to work on the process to get it where you need it, so that this will work.

On my current project that is winding down, we had our sheets in the same model as the geometry, but the cover sheets came from the arch model. They used a Revit Sheet Schedule that included elements from other models to create the full sheet list. This works, as long as everyone on the project follows the instructions from the lead. If they don't, then sheets will be missing or show up in the wrong order within the list.

I hope I didn't muddy the waters to much.
    Jeff S.
    Last edited by jsteinhauer; 2014-02-18 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Login to Give a bone

Hi,

Anyone using a different RVT for Sheet Management alone where you would link the RVT with the actual model?
    Care to share some experiences?

is it worth it?
    Is it too much of a pain to become useful?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    J
    It's very useful when you have multiple disciplines, buildings and volumes and trying to keep track of it all in one place. I created all my sheet indexes with this method. And I turn off all the worksets so all I get is sheet info and no models. Works great when you have 14+ models in one.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

I stand corrected.
    But a second session takes a bit of more resources than a single one with two files opened, doesn't it?
    I don't do it often, because most of my links are from consultants. If their file requires changes, they do the changes and reissue the file. Once in a while, the fastest way is to fix the link myself for an issue, then notify the consultant and the correction arrives later that week.

I have a 64 bit multi core Dell with 16m memory. Two Revit sessions don't stress things too much.

Login to Give a bone

I currently have a separate model for my sheet lists. But that's mainly due to file size and the size of the project. 1.4mil sqft split into 16 different areas. So i have 4 separate structural models, all linked into one file for my sheet lists. I also have this set up so none of the worksets load. So it take all of about 5 min to open. Works great. If I could have done this project in one model I would have, but I don't think my old workstation would have been happy about that. Heck I'm not sure my current workstation would be happy about that. Our Archies are doing the same type of thing. But they have a lot more models to deal with and a lot more sheets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast