Thread: Precast stair with rounded nose and slanted riser

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Precast stair with rounded nose and slanted riser

I am working on creating a massive precast concrete stair with a rounded nose and slanted riser. I have added a riser that has the correct profile and it looks great until I view it in elevation or cut a section through it. It looks like a precast concrete staie with an extra layer on top which is the thickness of the treads, risers and the riser profile I created. The look that Iam after is a massive precast concrete stair. I have tried to turn off the extra lines in the visibility and graphic over rides but with no luck. I am still stuck with a precast concrete stair that looks like it is built up of several layers of material where I just want a single material...concrete. Is there anyone who has a good trick to achieve this?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Precast stair with rounded nose and slanted riser

Uncheck tread and riser in type properties. Applying your custom nosing profile and setting its length with the slanted riser checked, should give you desired look. Can you post some pics?

stair.JPG

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

That is close to the look that I need but I need to be curved where the tread meets the tread below. I have now just two line segmentsa that I need to remove. one against the riser and the other at the bottom of the riser profile. If I remove the check in the riser box my profile disapears because it is defined as a riser. When I try to use this profile as a nose then it places a gap between the stair and the lower notch and I still have the lines between the profile and the stair. Do you have some advice on how I can create a profile that can give this effect?
    Setup Riser.JPGStair.JPG
    Last edited by dfi; 2014-03-26 at 09:19 AM.

Login to Give a bone

With the riser or tread checked, you will get lines. You can try to clean them with linework tool, but I think it will not work well in this case.
    I can’t think of anything else other than adding a height parameter to your profile and use it as a nosing with the riser and tread option unchecked. You need to set the nosing height equals to the actual stair riser height and modify it every time the stair riser changes, which is kinda pita, …sorry.

stair2.JPG

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hey that is it! I am mostly concerened about the section so the extra lines in the 3D don't bother me too much I just will need to see what i can do about the plan so there are not double lines at each step. That could be kind of a bummer to try and clean up since I am ussing this stair on a small condo complex of 10 buildings. For the most part our floor to floor heights are the same so there should not be too much adjusting the size of the nosing. It is definately nosing over riser.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dfi View Post
    I just will need to see what i can do about the plan so there are not double lines at each step
    In VG, uncheck <Above> Riser Lines and Risers Lines (see pic).

stair3.JPG

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

That definately makes life a lot easier. Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

There is still one thing that I am having an issue with. When I take the check out of the riser the stair disappears in both section and 3D but remains visible in plan. With the exception of the notches. I don't get any warnings that the stair cannot be created. Are there any other settings that need to be adjusted?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The problem is in 2013. If I use the same profile in a 2014 stair it works without any issues. Definately time to get some of these old projects migrated to 2014 before 2015 comes out next month.