Thread: Exporting for client use in other software

Login to Give a bone

Default Exporting for client use in other software

Is there a program I can export to or plot to that will allow my client to move elements around on his own but not change the size or scale of the elements?

Example: I draw a rectangle in the middle of a title block, if I could export this to a PDF like format but be able to move the rectangle around without changing the size or scale of the rectangle within the title block, then save the document.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Exporting for client use in other software

It seems improbable -- anything that allows editing is unlikely to have that specific a limitation in the available edits.

Best bet may be to simply make a block that he can drive around in CAD

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kevinb.267013 View Post
    Is there a program I can export to or plot to that will allow my client to move elements around on his own but not change the size or scale of the elements?

Example: I draw a rectangle in the middle of a title block, if I could export this to a PDF like format but be able to move the rectangle around without changing the size or scale of the rectangle within the title block, then save the document.
    Okay, I know it's not an elegant solution or practical for anything large scale. But, I have been known to use Gadwin Printscreen to grab a bunch of pieces of a plan and just paste them into powerpoint. All of my users are pretty comfortable with ppt, so I didn't have to train them. Once they got stuff laid out how they liked, they could just email it to me and I could adjust on the plan.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Okay, I know it's not an elegant solution or practical for anything large scale. But, I have been known to use Gadwin Printscreen to grab a bunch of pieces of a plan and just paste them into powerpoint. All of my users are pretty comfortable with ppt, so I didn't have to train them. Once they got stuff laid out how they liked, they could just email it to me and I could adjust on the plan.
    This sounds promising, as the client is only looking to be able to move objects around to plan for spacing and then it comes back to me to make the final plan. I will check this out.

Do you use the Pro or the freeware version does what you need?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kevinb.267013 View Post
    This sounds promising, as the client is only looking to be able to move objects around to plan for spacing and then it comes back to me to make the final plan. I will check this out.

Do you use the Pro or the freeware version does what you need?
    I've always used the freeware version. Oh, I used it in conjunction with a clipboard extender... can't recall the name of it offhand (can't install useful utilities here at my new job darn it). Oh, I think it was Ditto.
    Gadwin will automatically save your snips to one directory, which is easy enough to drag and drop into ppt, but, having the clipboard extender makes it easy, too, because it saves all the snips for easy pasting.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost