Thread: Steel Shop Drawings - Need to rotate Imported IFC file in the vertical axis

Login to Give a bone

Default Steel Shop Drawings - Need to rotate Imported IFC file in the vertical axis

Hi All,

I have recieved an IFC file from our steel shop drawer for one of our projects and want to load it into our Architectural model for checking. This is the first time we are trying to get genuine interoperability between Revit and Tekla. They have been able to import our Revit model with no issues (I followed the instructions on the Tekla website).

Only problem is, when I import their IFC file the whole thing is rotated in the vertical axis, like a sinking titanic. Of course I could import it into AutoCAD and rotate it, but then I would only be left with dumb geometry, and I want to keep the Tekla / IFC information on beam sizes etc.

I can't rotate it from within its Revit file because the beams and columns have a fixed relationship to the horizontal and won't rotate. I tried linking it and rotating the linked file which also isn't possible, it won't even if I disjoin or copy. It seems that linked files cannot be rotated in the horizonal.

Does anyone have experience with loading a Tekla IFC export into Revit? Is is possible they have exported it wrong at their end?

Any help would be appreciated. This is my first time using IFC files in Revit.

Georgie.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Steel Shop Drawings - Need to rotate Imported IFC file in the vertical axis

That's very unusal. Did you try opening the IFC in something like Solibri

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Steel Shop Drawings - Need to rotate Imported IFC file in the vertical axis

I'm pretty sure Tekla has an Export to Revit tool so you don't need and IFC file at all.
    http://www.tekla.com/products/tekla-...revit-products
    It seems like there may even be an Add-in for Revit that allows you to import a Tekla file.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Be careful with the addins... its darn slow lol

Login to Give a bone

I was using the add-in to import the IFC file (yep it was very slow dhurtubise, took around 30 minutes to open).

I have no idea what they are doing at their end with their Tekla modelling.. They seem to be working with the Y-axis up and the X and Z axis on the horizontal... It is possible that there is not much I can do about it other than rotate it in CAD.

Login to Give a bone

No I haven't used Solibri, have you tried it and can you rotate a model vertically with it? I just had a look and it might help, these IFC shop drawing files are pretty unwieldy.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Georgie, let us know if we can help. There shouldn't be any accidental rotation. If you send us (Tekla HQ) the IFC model, we can take a quick look then maybe offer some advice upstream to the Tekla Structures user.

Email is Tekla_Revit_Feedback@tekla.com

Best regards,
    David Lash

Tekla HQ
    A Trimble Company