Thread: topo from point list

Login to Give a bone

Default topo from point list

I received a survey done in Acad - not a well done Civil 3D file, but one of those drawings where the goal was nothing more than a 2D plot that looked right. Turning the CAD file on edge, lines and objects spin off every which way like a spider web. No attention was paid to the Z-dimension. I was able to make a point list from the spot elevations. There were 773 points. I loaded them into Revit and actually got a Revit topo that I could overlay the Acad file and trace things like sidewalks, roads and tree info.

but

The contours in Revit are jagged, they connect point to point in straight lines. The Acad file, wrong as it is 3 dimensionally, looks better because the contours are splines between the 773 points. Can Revit contours that were made from a point list be made as splines, or is this one more wish for the site tools list that never seems to be satisfied?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: topo from point list

This doesn't answer the question you asked, but could you assign z-elevations in ACAD and then generate your topo from the splines themselves?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: topo from point list

Whoever created the Acad file placed text at the correct x,y position then edited the text content to be the actual spot elevation. It's been so long since I worked in Acad I forget if text can be given a z coordinate. In any case, I would write a script since I don't have the patience to edit 773 text instances. Also, the site is relatively flat, so the contours don't affect the buildings too much. If I were on the side of a hill, it would be a different story.