See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know it's not Monday but I am still in a fog.... Please help me name a folder.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I know it's not Monday but I am still in a fog.... Please help me name a folder.

Our office keeps a pretty separate file structure... with specific things archived (backed up) regularly, and some not at all.

"Word" folder - all "office" (word, ppt, excel, image) documents relating to a project are kept within a specific folder under this. 13001 Documents
    "Cadfiles" folder - all cad projects are stored here. Their are subfolders for year, and then each project in it's own folder. Cadfiles > 13 > 13001

There are others, but you get the idea....

When a project is completed, it gets completely removed from the server and is kept only on it's archive disk. We have archive disks that go back to the late 80's, that can easily be copied onto the server for use or documents opened for printing.

Nothing on the server is "inactive" or "complete" because these projects do not need to be part of our nightly back-up.

Every company is different, and the only right way is the way that works for you, but I think you are limiting yourself with what you are proposing.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: I know it's not Monday but I am still in a fog.... Please help me name a folder.

How about "ancilliary"?

Login to Give a bone

Well I was trying to keep it simple but since you asked..... Cadtag . Within the Drawing & Document resource folder will be the rest of our poorly structured folders. In our system there is no such thing as "archive" or even projects or years for that matter. All of our drawings are organized by disciplines, ie millsite, electrical, structural, mechanical you get the idea. Within those folders are mill function folders which house dwg, tiff, parts lists, manuals and on and on. The only reason we are splitting our main directory is so Engineers have a folder they will have read/write access, to create project folders and house current project files. Hence projects in progress folder and then the rest of the world. Surely not the way I would organize but it's all I have to work with at this time. I'm open to suggestions and pointers. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Resource won!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12