See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masking MEP elements only

Login to Give a bone

Default Masking MEP elements only

Is there a way to make a Masking Region that masks ONLY the MEP elements and not the linked Arch elements?

I'm thinking for uses such as masking out a bathroom on a plan where its called out as an enlargement on another sheet. Or I have a situation on one plan that involves different levels at multiple heights and my view range and plan regions only allow me to do so much. I'd like to mask out some MEP elements on my plan but leave the floor plan in tact. In some of my situations I can do the work around where you create another floor plan to show what you want and then place those multiple views on the sheet to get it how you want it, but I hate doing that work around.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Masking MEP elements only

It sounds like using the "Hide in View" command is your only option. Or at least the most efficient one.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If all of the elements exist entirely within the area (i.e. not Ducts or Conduit running into the area), you may be able to get away with creating a Plan Region are then configure the region's View Range so that it "misses" the MEP elements. Even if there are Ducts/Conduits running through, this method should hide most of the MEP elements.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the responses.

I searched for some previous threads but must have missed that one - looks like there are really no great efficient options, just some workarounds.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Personally, I use worksets. I have an Enlarged Plan workset and a regular plan workset. If you are doing M&P it might mean you have to put breaks in the duct and pipe but to me it's the best solution. Once you have the views and visibility set in the appropriate views, all you have to do is make sure things are added on the right worksets and they appear where they should.

Using the Element Hide in View option means everytime you place something in or near that enlarged area you have to make sure you go and manually turn off those items. I prefer to have it automatic.

Login to Give a bone

I know this is going to go against everything you guys have posted here, but I actually came across an instance in one of my projects where a filled region is doing exactly that( hides all host file elements, but shows all linked file elements). I can assure you of the following things: 1. This is a filled region 2. It is a 'transparent' 'crosshatch' 3. All elements affected whether in the host model or linked model, are 3D elements not annotation and 4. There are no plan regions, underlays, links, or linked views associated here. I spent a bit of time trying to reverse engineer this as I would like to use it on other projects, but to no avail. Any thoughts?

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Was that Project file "upgraded" at any point? I have heard of a glitch/bug like this that is the result of upgrading a Project, I think specifically between the 2012 and 1013 versions. This bug may have only specifically affected the Structural Discipline, but in any case, make sure you have all of the latest service packs and fixes from the Autodesk Subscription Center.

If this is not the case, could we procure a sample file??

Login to Give a bone

Find whomever did that and pick their brain, then come back here and tell us how, please.

Login to Give a bone

I have an idea which I don't have time to try.

1. Make a detail item family. In this family make some planes which give it a size (ie. width and height). Draw a Masking region and attach it to those planes (or use whatever method suits you best)
    2. Nest said detail family into a generic annotation family (or plumbing fixture or something). Give it width and height parameters so you can change it.
    3. Insert this into your project. Make sure it's offset height is above the items you are hiding.

Does that work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast