Thread: Data Shortcut: Associate Project to Current Drawing Problem

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Data Shortcut: Associate Project to Current Drawing Problem

I usually set the working folder to the project number and the data shortcuts project folders = drawings. When I have each drawing open I issue the Associate Project to Current Drawing command. When I restart AutoCAD and open a different drawing associated to a different working folder the working folder is not updating. Can Civil 3D automatically change the working folder so it is set correctly for the current drawing? Do I need to change my folder organization?

Folder Structure:
    z:\engineering\client\project_number1\drawings\_Shortcuts
    z:\engineering\client\project_number1\drawings\sites\existing.dwg
    z:\engineering\client\project_number1\drawings\sites\proposed.dwg

z:\engineering\client\project_number2\drawings\_Shortcuts
    z:\engineering\client\project_number2\drawings\sites\existing.dwg
    z:\engineering\client\project_number2\drawings\sites\proposed.dwg

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Data Shortcut: Associate Project to Current Drawing Problem

Your project directory template(s) do not include a ..\_Shortcuts\ShortcutsHistory.xml file do they?
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I don't have Civil 3D create the folder(s) template\structure but the file is there.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by GreyHippo View Post
    I don't have Civil 3D create the folder(s) template\structure but the file is there.
    Based on the behavior you're observing, I'm inclined to suspect that your ..\_Shortcuts\ShortcutsHistory.xml is being duplicated into each of your projects, and not created by Civil 3D.

To test this, please open two different ..\_Shortcuts\ShortcutsHistory.xml files, and compare their respective GUIDs:

c3d.data.shortcuts.guid.png

If they are unique, then this is not the cause of your issue, for at least these two projects (verify the others as well).

If they are the same, then your project directory template contains this file, and it must be removed from your template, as this unique GUID is used to tell C3D which project is which. Being the same, C3D doesn't know what to do, and essentially does nothing.

You can correct this in each of your projects manually, or using Civil 3D....

:: Manually ::

Open each ..\_Shortcuts\ShortcutsHistory.xml file in Notepad++, etc., and replace the string (the part in the quotes, using the format: "<ProjectName>-<GUID>") with a new GUID from something like Visual Studio > Tools menu > Create GUID, set your working folder to ..\project_numberX\, and re-associate all of your drawings to this new project:

visual.studio.tools.create.guid.png

:: Using Civil 3D ::

Navigate to each project's ..\_Shortcuts\ folder, and delete ShortcutsHistory.xml, then from Civil 3D, set your working folder to ..\project_numberX\ and a new ShortcutsHistory.xml file will be created (with a unique GUID), and then re-associate your drawings to this new project.

HTH
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-04-24 at 09:30 PM.

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    If they are unique, then this is not the cause of your issue, for at least these two projects (verify the others as well).
    The only other option I can think of, is that you do not have write access to the %AppData%\Autodesk\C3D 201X\enu\Project Management\ directory.

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

The files are unique and they do not get copied from project to project.

I have access to the \Project Management folder. There are two files in it ShortcutFoders.XML and WorkingFolders.XML

Login to Give a bone

The files are unique and they do not get copied from project to project.

I have access to the \Project Management folder. There are two files in it ShortcutFoders.XML and WorkingFolders.XML
    As you may already be aware... Civil 3D uses ..\Project Management\ShortcutFolders.xml to store each working folder... Which is ironic, given that ..\Project Management\WorkingFolders.xml exists.

In any event, if each project-level GUID is unique, and you've properly associated the correct project to each applicable drawing, then there is no reason Civil 3D would fail to automagically update the working folder when you activate a given project-associated drawing.

I am curious though... If you open two drawings that you know to be associated with different projects, and drawing 'A' is active, and then you switch to drawing 'B', what happens (if anything) when you invoke the undocumented REFRESHSHORTCUTNODE Command?

As last resort, have you already tried a repair install, or another full uninstall / new install?

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

I first issued the REFRESHSHORTCUTNODE command but it didn't fix it. Then I deleted the XML files in the Project Management folder and restarted AutoCAD. After I restarted AutoCAD I went back to the PM folder add saw that it created the two XML files. I opened each XML file to see what was in it. The only thing that was in the folder was a reference to c:\civil 3d projects\hit the road jack... so I renamed that folder and deleted the XML files in the Project Management folder restarted AutoCAD. I open two files from two different projects and issued the Associate Project to Current Drawing on each drawing and it now works as expected.

Thanks for the help!

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the help!
    You're welcome; glad you got it sorted.

Computer Specs: