See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Revit 2013 : Change the level of floors without affecting MEP model.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Revit 2013 : Change the level of floors without affecting MEP model.

HI,
    We are doing 40 storey commercial building MEP job.
    after 2 month of working on model Architect change the levels of floors in architect files.
    so how can I change the levels of floor as per new architect drawing in MEP drawings without affecting MEP model.

Regards,

Swapnil

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2013 : Change the level of floors without affecting MEP model.

have you copy/monitored the architectural levels? if so, they should change to match for you. if you've placed your own levels, you can align and lock them to the arch levels in an elevation view. the problem is, wall devices like receptacles and such won't change based on the floor moving. for instance, if they raised the 2nd floor level up 6", your receptacles will be at 12" above floor instead of 18" like they were set previously... last time this happened to me (it was only a 2 story bldg., so wasn't so bad) I cut a wireframe section thru the entire building, and grabbed a thin window of all the devices that were now at 12" and changed them to 18" (you might have to filter by category if it won't let you change receptacles and phones at the same time), and the same with light switches and things at 48", then another window for fire alarm devices up at 7'. they should maintain their 2nd level association, you can just edit the height offset. i'm electrical as you can probably tell, I don't know how this will affect plumbing or mechanical, or the fixes for them...
    hth,
    mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2013 : Change the level of floors without affecting MEP model.

Unfortunately this means much more re-work with MP elements. Internal families such as ducts and pipes will move relative to the level changing but equipment and fixtures do not. So if you try to just move the level up some elements move up with it and others do not causing a lot of disconnects.

Honestly, the easiest way to do this would be to disconnect your systems between floors. Then in section select all MEP content within a floor AND the level and move them up/down to the new level location.

If the above method doesn't work you'll have to create new levels at the desired elevation. Disconnect your systems between floors and pull pipes & ducts away so that every floor is independent. Create new views based off the new levels, perhaps naming the old ones with some text like "OLD" to differentiate them. I'm assuming the floor-to-floor heights have increased. If so work your way down the building by going to each old view, selecting all MEP content, cutting, going to the new view, pasting aligned to current view. You'll have to create new views to place on sheets and all the other setup stuff so there's quite a bit of work involved.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Can you clarify something for us? You wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by swapr78
    ...how can I change the levels of floor...
    Do you mean change the elevation of existing levels or add/remove levels from the model?

If you need to change the elevation of the levels and if the changes are measured in millimeters/inches and not meters/feet then you should be able to change the elevation values. The majority of your elements should adjust their own positions relative to their hosting level, even if face-based. When the changes are more extreme then it is quite likely that fittings and sloping will be affected by the change, assuming the worst case situation as in less space is now available between floors.

If you mean add/remove levels to the model then that will be more difficult. You'll need to decide how to insert new ones that require the least revisions to your existing elements. When I read your post it seemed to me that you are not doing this, rather dealing with what I wrote in the first paragraph.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Steve, Just a short question. Is it possible to change a Level's elevation without dragging with it all the elements up? I need to move all my levels 130mm up to represent the finished floor rather than the top of the structural beams. Is it possible? At the moment when I change the elevation all the associated elements go up with the level.

Login to Give a bone

All of your model elements are associated with a level, so if you move the level, you move the elements. No getting around it. To keep the MEP elements static, create a new level rather than moving the existing one.