See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing Redline standards/ practices

Login to Give a bone

Default Drawing Redline standards/ practices

Anyone aware of a "Standard/ Specification" that outlines proper redline application on drawings i.e. colors, icons, symbols? trying to standardize office procedures and i'd love to have a reference to point to that states industry standard.
    Thanks for any assistance. v/r mm

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing Redline standards/ practices

I imagine that depends on the industry... and even the office within the industry.

In our office - Red is new or demo depending on the linetype redlined, Green is deleted, and blue is existing to remain. Symbols match what we draw with typically.

Login to Give a bone

Agreed; more information is needed.

Are you marking up plans for internal QA/QC prior to a client/agency submittal?

It's really up to you; at minimum, user might highlight the markups that have been completed, and provide back to reviewer with revised plans, so the reviewer can identify if the user saw a markup and did it wrong, or if they didn't see the markup at all, etc.

Are you marking up existing utilities prior to proposed design?

For this, I've seen some States implement a variation of Green (existing to remain), Red (existing to be removed, adjusted horizontally, or abandoned), Brown (existing to be adjusted vertically, horizontal location remains the same).
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Another example:
    Red - add (lines, symbols, text, whatever)
    Blue - delete (usually clouded or hatched to indicate objects or areas)
    Green or lead pencil - comments (not to be drafted, used for clarity and initials/date where required)
    Yellow highlighter - checked/confirmed

Login to Give a bone

A similar question and similar answers here.

Login to Give a bone

This thread is starting to make me think of this... Whatever you do, avoid transparent ink, and lines drawn as kittens.

Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-05-05 at 07:47 PM.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

sorry didn't expect such a quick responses...
    4 man drafting/ design shop supporting Rapid prototype/ production facility w/ in house engineering, machine and wiring shops (soup to nuts): Electro-mechanical i.e. functional block diagrams, schematics, part drawings (sheet metal, billet), assemblies (equipment mount to racks airborne/ shipboard, mil. shelter(s), lab racks). Customer never sees redlines but on occasion does provide redlines.
    we have been adhering to a red = delete/ add, yellow = checked, green = QA'd/ confirmed, lead (or black ink) = note to drafter, but i was hoping there was an ANSI Y14.??? that speaks to redlining drawings so i can point to it as a jumping off point. got to get it standardized before it gets (more) out of control... thanks again for the great input.

Login to Give a bone

saw this one... was hoping for an actual standard or specification (ANSI, ASME, MIL NAS), all good thanks for all the inputs. very helpful

Login to Give a bone

ok, just flashed back to this monrings meeting... "red in, yellow out..." huh?
    thanks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

From my experience (admittedly narrow focus) every engineer will have their quirks... and getting them all on the same page can be a chore. We have 5 engineers, a designer (myself) and two drafters. Getting the engineers to change their redline habits sometimes requires an act of congress, and we all know how well those work!

If it were me trying to wrangle a small companies habits, I'd start with something that very closely matches what you have already. Put it in writing... and then get the top guy(s) to approve it. Just be prepared to change with the engineers at times... almost exactly like a good CAD standard, this type of office standard needs to be fluid and able to change given the circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast