See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defpoints and Layer 0

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Defpoints and Layer 0

Quote Originally Posted by magnusonzach View Post
    Wow... ask a simple question about why two layers are inexplicitly linked together, and I get a response of "You're doing it wrong!!"

Thanks.
    Sorry, wasn't trying to insult. Hopefully the links provided explain what those two special layers are for and how they're intended to be used. That last link explains good practice using layers very well, but you may need to set up a free account to view it.

Login to Give a bone

Wow... ask a simple question about why two layers are inexplicitly linked together, and I get a response of "You're doing it wrong!!"

Thanks.
    If you really want to know....go ask the programmers at Autodesk... As Users, many of us have been using Autocad for many years and know not to use certain layers, such as the default layers, for anything. So the "Why" is really something we just take as "Deal with it"... I've been using Autocad since v.9 (not 2009, 9) and its been that way since then.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Sorry. I was being a little snarky, and it does not translate well. I also have been using Acad for a while (learned on R13), and I get frustrated when the "default" response is "You're doing it wrong". I know what to draw on what layers, but the technical side of things (the Why Does This... stuff) makes my head spin. I didn’t know what the reason for it was. Having learned on a platform where defpoints was the only non-plot layer, I use it when I need a temporary non-plot. I sincerely appreciate the responses from everyone as well as the suggestions.
    Again, apologies.

This would probably be a bad time to mention that I also explode my text to lines...

Login to Give a bone

This would probably be a bad time to mention that I also explode my text to lines...
    Ya know....we have fired people for exploding text and blocks...especially on the civil side... Hopefully you work for yourself.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

I know that when Layer 0 is frozen or off, Defpoints becomes "unselectable". Is there a reason for this? Or is it a bug that has never been fixed?
    I've been wondering this same thing for years (since R13 in 1996). I'll bet only the original programmer knows, and I'll bet he is long gone from AutoDesk. The only reason I've found is to annoy the users, so I think its a bug that has never been fixed.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aellsworth View Post
    I've been wondering this same thing for years (since R13 in 1996). I'll bet only the original programmer knows, and I'll bet he is long gone from AutoDesk. The only reason I've found is to annoy the users, so I think its a bug that has never been fixed.
    It's not a bug, it's the way it was designed and experienced users know better that to misuse it because it has been known to cause problems.
    This does not mean it WILL create problems, just that it MIGHT.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I have been using Auto cad since version 2.6 dos. I love layer defpoints. I use it for constructions lines, lining up details etc. what I hate is mtext

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by vtmiii View Post
    I have been using Auto cad since version 2.6 dos. I love layer defpoints. I use it for constructions lines, lining up details etc. what I hate is mtext
    What might have been appropriate 30 years ago (not that it was actually appropriate then) isn't necessarily appropriate today.

Login to Give a bone

Promise me I'll never have to work in one of your files ... there are uses for single line text, but they're few and far between.

Login to Give a bone

That right there.
    Hating MTEXT was a hard habit to break.

Don't get me wrong, I use it all the time now... but, only due to a lot of peer pressure. I like it now, but, it was a real nightmare when I first started using AutoCAD.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast