See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Cad Standards_ Assigning colours to Layers using traditional colour conventions

Login to Give a bone

Default Cad Standards_ Assigning colours to Layers using traditional colour conventions

Having created my layer names to BS1192:2007 standard I now need to apply model space colour to these layers. Traditional drafting colours ( in the UK) are usually brickwork - red, timber - yellow, glass- blue , concrete - green, steelwork - blue etc. BUT ....with dozens of layer names it's difficult to find some consistency - for example I have at least 3 beam layers - Insitu_ Conc, PC_conc, and Beam_Steel. Should all beams be the same colour irrespective of material? Any advice welcomed - Thank you.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cad Standards_ Assigning colours to Layers using traditional colour conventions

Locally there aren't any firms that match each other... in any field. Layer names may overlap, but colors and exact use do not for sure.

When I set up our last layer revision I decided to keep similar layers on similar colors. For example, Power circuiting is green; There are three types, and each is a different shade of green. Lighting circuits are blue, or a variation of, and so on.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cad Standards_ Assigning colours to Layers using traditional colour conventions

First question would be 'how are the hard copies being created?" does color map to pen weight, or are layers assigned a named plot style? or do you want lineweights assigned explicitly by layer/by entity?

Login to Give a bone

cadtag - I'm using named plot style templates and the lineweights will be assigned by layer.

Login to Give a bone

Then i'd follow coloradomrg's lead, and use a family of reds. with stb and lineweights by layer, color is pretty much immaterial so you can use it as you like.