Thread: Help with data systems

Login to Give a bone

Default Help with data systems

Can anyone help me understand how data systems and "circuits" are supposed to function in Revit? There are a couple things really confusing me here.

1. Why are data systems organized into "circuits"? In a typical installation, each outlet will have it's own cable run back to a patch panel first (not an ethernet switch). Cabling is not run between outlets in a circuit for a data system, so why is this how Revit organizes the system?
    2. Is there an way to use a patch panel family in a data system instead of an ethernet switch? I need to use rack-mounted patch panels and run all data cabling to them, not a switch.

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help with data systems

you can set up a patch panel family to act as an ethernet switch, in the family category and connector settings. this will allow you to circuit data jacks to it. the circuits work just like receptacles do, in that you'll click a data jack, create circuit, and select your patch panel as the source. each data jack will have its own homerun as you said, you won't group them together to create circuits like receptacles. your patch panel will have a number of poles setting (24,4 so you would know when your switches are full and need to add another. you will also be able to pull a circuit schedule, which will be a list of each data cable, type of jack, room number (if you've placed spaces) and most importantly, length. I would verify them, as it's not always accurate, or may not take the route you have to use. it would be a great checking tool showing if you've gone over 300' with a run. you could even do a conditional format in the schedule that will show circuits over 300' in red. i'm not using any of this in my designs yet, but I've thought about it... let me know if you have any questions
    hth,
    mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your help! This makes sense now. I have another question now since you mentioned scheduling the room numbers. I'd like to be able to tag each outlet with a unique identifier that includes the room number in that tag. Is that a parameter that I need to assign to the outlet? How would I go about that?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

you can make a tag that reads the Comments parameter, or make your own project parameter for Data devices. you would have to fill them out by hand though. you can put several pieces of text (labesl) in a single tag, and have them read different parameters. i'd have to mess around with it, but I bet you could automate the room number and device type, and only use Comments for the sequential number or whatever else you want in there.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mhartmann View Post
    you can set up a patch panel family to act as an ethernet switch, in the family category and connector settings. this will allow you to circuit data jacks to it. the circuits work just like receptacles do, in that you'll click a data jack, create circuit, and select your patch panel as the source. each data jack will have its own homerun as you said, you won't group them together to create circuits like receptacles. your patch panel will have a number of poles setting (24,4 so you would know when your switches are full and need to add another. you will also be able to pull a circuit schedule, which will be a list of each data cable, type of jack, room number (if you've placed spaces) and most importantly, length. I would verify them, as it's not always accurate, or may not take the route you have to use. it would be a great checking tool showing if you've gone over 300' with a run. you could even do a conditional format in the schedule that will show circuits over 300' in red. i'm not using any of this in my designs yet, but I've thought about it... let me know if you have any questions
    hth,
    mike

Bringing this back from the dead. Has anyone successfully implemented the above method? I'm trying to create a patch panel that will do what the above explains. Eg...single circuit for each data jack, the ability to schedule room number, type of jack, etc.. I don't understand the part about "select your patch panel as the source"..what does that mean? Also, in the patch panel family, what is the family category and part type? What system type is the connector set to?