Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Multiple" copy function

Login to Give a bone

Default "Multiple" copy function

How is the "multiple" function when copying "remembered" by Revit? It seems like I have to turn it on for some things, and then it will stay on for future copies of certain things, but then other things it seems like Revit forgets it was on. Sometimes it seems like it's a by-view thing, other times it doesn't. Behavior seems rather random.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Multiple" copy function

You don't use the "Control" button to add, or am I missing something?

Login to Give a bone

No I mean when you copy something, there is the option to make multiple copies (copy placed each time you click, until you hit Esc or cancel), but there doesn't seem to be any method or pattern as to what keeps that option selected or unselected.

I know there is an entry in the Revit.ini file for the Chain function for drawing lines, walls, 2-pick components, etc. That function is always consistent. If you turn it off, it stays off until you turn it on again, and vice versa, ALWAYS.

The Multiple copies option, on the other hand, doesn't seem to behave this way.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The "multiple" switch uses your last setting .. either on or off. At least it was through 2009.

Login to Give a bone

Not for me it doesn't, never has since I started using Revit on version 6.1. When I first launch Revit, I always have to toggle on the Multiple option manually when I first copy something when I need multiple copies. Then throughout the day I will have to toggle it again for various other things - be it in other views, other view types, detail vs. model items. I just don't know what the pattern is.

The "chain" toggle, on the other hand, stays put no matter what. Even after closing and re-opening Revit, it remembers the setting because it's in the Revit.ini file: Chain=YES or NO or something like that.

More often than not, I need multiple copies of an item. That's why I wish it would actually remember how you set it with consistency.

Login to Give a bone

I just tried it agin and it works exactly as I said and I remember it always working that way. Mine uses the last setting ... even after using other commands in-between copy functions.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: "Multiple" copy function

Instead of trying to find a setting in a piece of code, why not just check the box
    for multiple--takes maybe a couple of milliseconds? And, quite often, I find I DO NOT
    want it to make multiple copies--and I think it's worth the tiny extra moment to decide
    what you want to do before you do it.........

IMHO, this sort of thing is not a budget breaker or huge efficiency issue.

just my 2 cents worth

cheers....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wmullett View Post
    I just tried it agin and it works exactly as I said and I remember it always working that way. Mine uses the last setting ... even after using other commands in-between copy functions.
    Yes I know, most of the time it stays as I have set it. It's just at random times throughout each day I find that it's not set the way I had it set.

And it does make me waste time whenever I expect to get multiple copies (because I had it set that way before) and instead only get one. Then I have to select the element and start the copy function again and make sure Multiple is checked once again. This happens several times a day.

Login to Give a bone

The only time I have ever had to re-set the multiple copy is if I close Revit and re open it.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Just a guess or three, but it might turn itself off when you switch between a project & a family. Or, between projects. It might also have timed out, and when it reacquired a license tripped it back off.

Jeff S.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast