See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Revit 2014 Floor Transparency and Linework Tool

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2014 Floor Transparency and Linework Tool

I have just started to get further along into my First Revit 2014 project and have noticed a issue with changing plan line work on floors once their Visibility Graphics have been overwritten to 100% transparency. I am in the structural field and have had to show my floor slabs as transparent in order for the steel below to be visible. I have done this and edited the plan line work for the last 2 versions of Revit. Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Attached is a screen shot of my VG settings for my Plan View.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2014 Floor Transparency and Linework Tool

Have you thought about creating a second view, with the only steel showing in your VG settings (ie turn everything else but structural framing and columns off)
    Then on your sheet you simply drop this view over top of your plan, set your steel projection lines to show hidden and this way you dont need to set your slab as transparent.
    I have the same issue with slabs, and needing to see things underneath and I found that using the overlayed views where I can rather than the transparency helps limit this problem.
    Also you can think about using a reflected ceiling plan to see the steel under, but it can be more difficult to control than the 2 overlayed views.

Login to Give a bone

I started a new project with the OOTB arch template in 2014.
    I added some beams & a floor . They didn't appear. I created a new plan by going to view - plan views - structural plan.
    I then changed the view discipline to structural and they show up as expected.
    Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Jeff,
    I didn't have a chance to look at this before. But i just ran into it myself.

All,
    We create our drawings in Discipline: Coordination so that we can see certain Architectural items and still see our structural items. However, in Coordination, we need to set our slabs (and, I've since discovered, our WALLS also) to be Transparent in order to see our Structure in the model.

I was able to duplicate the OP's issue:
    I'm currently working on a slab that has a 2 1/2" depression. So I have two slabs; one at floor level and the second that is -2 1/2". I offset the lower slab extent/sketch 8" from the outline of the actual depressed area to allow for a thickened slab area. I now want the edge of the offset/lower slab to be dashed. I want to use the linework tool to make this edge a different linetype. However, the linework tool has no visual effect on my slab edges.

This is a problem and should probably be submitted to Autodesk for further investigation.

All AUGI, all the time davidcobi's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This is causing us some trouble too.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks David and Craig for the suggestions! David, changing to the Structural Discipline does not correct the issue unfortunately. My problem is very similar to Leanne's. I have two slabs at different elevations (1-0" or so apart) and one needs to have the EOS shown dashed below. The line work tool will not change the slab below as long as I have to slabs set to 100% transparency. I have not tried creating a separate plan yet and working in two different instances of the same plan, one with all but the framing turned off, as Craig suggested. It sounds like it would be a lot more work trying to coordinate between the two different views. I may give it a shot and see how it works. I do agree with Leanne that this needs to be brought up to AutoDesk for further investigation.

Thanks for your help!