See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Object Properties Dialog box blank.. no matter what.

Login to Give a bone

Default Object Properties Dialog box blank.. no matter what.

Hi everyone! I have a user that has a little problem with the properties dialog box. Click on object, right click, properties. The box shows up but nothing is displayed. Until of course you hit the esc button, then they show up. It almost has to be something in his settings due to the fact that I can open the same drawings on my machine and everything works fine. We have opened numerous drawings and still the same result. I have struggled enough with this problem, it's time to ask for help from my augi friends. I can only hope that one day I will be the person to answer some questions on here. Thanks in advanced!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Object Properties Dialog box blank.. no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by jande43 View Post
    Hi everyone! I have a user that has a little problem with the properties dialog box. Click on object, right click, properties. The box shows up but nothing is displayed. Until of course you hit the esc button, then they show up. It almost has to be something in his settings due to the fact that I can open the same drawings on my machine and everything works fine. We have opened numerous drawings and still the same result. I have struggled enough with this problem, it's time to ask for help from my augi friends. I can only hope that one day I will be the person to answer some questions on here. Thanks in advanced!
    The most common (but usually irrelevant) answer is to ensure that PICKFIRST is set to 1 - which yours is.

Next, is that your acad registry entries have been tampered with by an anti-virus or registry cleaner programme and a control panel repair is needed.

The only other reported success that I've seen refers to a lack of RAM which seems unlikely. How much does his pc have?

Login to Give a bone

Yep pick first is set to 1, RAM is 4G. I don't think it's the anti-virus only because our whole company runs the same setup and he is the only one with the problem. Same goes for the RAM. When you select the object even to change the color it pretends like it changes it but when you close out of the properties dialog the color appears to be the same... This one really has me stumped.

Login to Give a bone

Yep pick first is set to 1, RAM is 4G. I don't think it's the anti-virus only because our whole company runs the same setup and he is the only one with the problem. Same goes for the RAM. When you select the object even to change the color it pretends like it changes it but when you close out of the properties dialog the color appears to be the same... This one really has me stumped.
    Change colour how? Through the dropdown colour selector?
    It can't be the properties manager if there is nothing visible there - unless this is after pressing ESC of course. I have never seen that behaviour.

Login to Give a bone

autoCAD version? any veticals running? OS version? 64bit or 32 bit? Has a registry cleaner _ever_ been run? Have you tried a Repair from Control Panel?

Login to Give a bone

@ Jaberwok
    Here is the sequence: Click on text, right click to open pull down, click on properties, dialog comes up but it comes up blank. No info whatsoever. Get mad, hit ESC and all properties info pops up. Click on color change to yellow, everything looks good. Hit the X and nothing happens. If you go through the whole sequence again the color in the dialog box will show as yellow but the text itself will remain white.

@Cadtag
    Autocad 2014 64bit, I would hope they have some kind of registry clean-up that runs automatically...... in fact I believe they do on Thursday nights and no to the repair from control panel. Even tho I am the CAD Manager I don't have admin rights. So needless to say to trial anything that isn't tweaking autocad settings is going to be uncomfortable. In the sense that I may have to go to extreme measure to get anything done. IT is really really strict.

Login to Give a bone

@ Jaberwok
    Here is the sequence: Click on text, right click to open pull down, click on properties, dialog comes up but it comes up blank. No info whatsoever. Get mad, hit ESC and all properties info pops up. Click on color change to yellow, everything looks good. Hit the X and nothing happens. If you go through the whole sequence again the color in the dialog box will show as yellow but the text itself will remain white.

@Cadtag
    Autocad 2014 64bit, I would hope they have some kind of registry clean-up that runs automatically...... in fact I believe they do on Thursday nights and no to the repair from control panel. Even tho I am the CAD Manager I don't have admin rights. So needless to say to trial anything that isn't tweaking autocad settings is going to be uncomfortable. In the sense that I may have to go to extreme measure to get anything done. IT is really really strict.
    I've not seen the "hit ESC and the info appears" but I have seen the colour change/no change symptom. Try clicking outside the properties manager rather than closing it. Do you have the layer manger open at the same time?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Oh, wait - "hit ESC and the info appears"... is that the information for the selected entities or just general drawing information in the Properties palette? I've *never* seen the former but the latter is possible on 2014 and 2015 if 360 is turned off in the installer or the installation doesn't have proper rights. In some cases (pretty unlikely here) it can also happen in relation to installing BETA releases.

Login to Give a bone

I would hope they have some kind of registry clean-up that runs automatically...... in fact I believe they do on Thursday nights..
    Registry Cleaners are generally a poor idea with Autocad products. They tend to break things and (especially if the users don't have install / admin privileges) cause more CAD issues than they ever fix. If it makes your IT folk feel better, they can blame the autodesk progammers

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

IT is really really strict.
    And should be... but they are also there to support the business and regardless of what they "want" the "needs" of the business must come first. Boggles my mind how many firms that use AutoCAD or related products have an IT person who knows nothing of the program.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast