Thread: One Third Overlap Running Bond Hatch Pattern

Login to Give a bone

Default One Third Overlap Running Bond Hatch Pattern

I know there are threads about this but for the life of me, reading them has given me no solution.

I have an existing pattern for a one-third overlap of a 12x24 tile. I'm trying to copy it to make a one-third overlap running bond of 6x16 tile, but can't get it to work.

Here's the 12x24 that works:

*Tile -12x24 Tile one-third overlap
    ;%TYPE=MODEL
    0, 0,0, 0,12
    90, 0,0, 12,8, 12,-24

It seems it would be simple to change to 6x16 but nothing I've tried has worked. I obviously don't understand the concept behind the numbers.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: One Third Overlap Running Bond Hatch Pattern

I have not tested it, but this should work:

*Tile_6x16 Tile, one-third overlap
    ;%TYPE=MODEL
    0, 0,0, 0,6
    90, 0,0, 6,5.33333333, 6,-12

The first line in the hatch pattern specifies a series of horizontal (first 0) lines starting at the origin point (second two zeros) with no offset along the direction of the line (fourth zero) and a 6-unit offset perpendicular to the direction of the line. The lines have no dash pattern specified, so they are continuous.

The second line in the hatch patter specifies a series of vertical (90) lines starting at the origin point (second two zeros) with a 6-unit offset along the direction of the line (first 6) and a 5.33333333-unit offset perpendicular to the direction of the line (unfortunately, 16 does not divide evenly by 3). These lines draw a 6-unit-long dash (second 6) followed by a 12-unit gap (-12), which repeats (dashes in the first, fourth, seventh, etc. courses).

So the first vertical line starts at 0,0 and goes up 6 units (one tile course), then skips two tile courses and draws another 6-unit dash, etc. The second vertical line offsets 6-units vertically (draws the first dash in the second course) and offsets 5.33333333 units horizontally (to the left), with the same pattern as the first (dashes in the second, fifth, eighth, etc. courses). The third vertical line is similarly offset, putting dashes in the third, sixth, ninth, etc. courses. The fourth vertical line is the same as the first, but 16 units away (ok, 15.99999999 units).

Login to Give a bone

David, yes that did work, so thanks a million! I swear I tried what you supplied but I must have had a few of the numbers reversed. To really understand the syntax, however, I'd love to see a graphic linking the numbers to the parts of the pattern they affect. Oddly, I've not found anything like that on the web.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Here is a good visual if anyone needs it
    Attached Files Attached Files