Thread: Import shapes and attached data (shapefile, object data etc) to Revit

Login to Give a bone

Default Import shapes and attached data (shapefile, object data etc) to Revit

I have a 3d GIS shapefile (detailing a road layout) with data attached (traffic flows, etc) that I would like to bring in to Revit. Is this possible?

Using Autodesk map3d I have converted the file to a .dwg with object data attached. However, when I insert this into a revit drawing, it is loaded as a 'symbol'. The entire layer appears in fixed form; I cannot edit shapes nor data for individual lines within the layer.

I have to admit being new to BIM but I thought the point was smart object orientation, with data attached. Is there a way to make use of my data in this way - editing shapes, editing data and generally interfacing with the 'information management' features of BIM?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Import shapes and attached data (shapefile, object data etc) to Revit

Objects in Revit all have properties called parameters. Most of the built in objects like windows, doors or walls in Revit have a set of parameters. There is also the ability to add your own custom parameters when needed. Reports created from the parameters are the basis of building information in Revit. And Revit does a pretty good job reporting on windows, doors and walls.

The key issue here is the existence of the object you want to report on. For your first experience with Revit, you happen to have stumbled into site information, which is one of the weakest areas of Revit. There are no roads, curbs or sidewalks. There are a number of work-arounds for this limitation, such as using floor slabs, but if you want a real road it just doesn't exist. You can google "modeling roads in Revit" and find lots of discussion on this topic. Site tools have been on the Revit wish list almost since 1.0 - that was over ten years ago.

There has been a lot of speculation why Autodesk allows this situation to persist. Roads, sidewalks, earthworks overlap with civil engineering, and the Revit suite of discipline-specific tools: Structure, MEP, etc. is noticeably missing civil. Maybe the long term goal is to create a Revit civil module rather than add those tools to Revit architecture. This is speculation on my part - if you want an answer to this question, you will have to ask Autodesk.

But don't sit next to the phone. You will starve to death waiting.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Import shapes and attached data (shapefile, object data etc) to Revit

Thanks for the reply. Damn

Does anyone know much about Vasari? Vasari has a "model line" type but I don't see how to get object data onto it...

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Data won't transfer from an AutoCAD drawing to a Revit family. An AutoCAD is just as it says a symbol.
    First i would wonder why you would want to access taht data in Revit?
    Second, if you want to see such data you will need to create familis. Simple lines won't contain the data.

Login to Give a bone

The reason for accessing that data in revit...

I make software that analyzes 3d networks. I would like to fit in with BIM (revit/vasari) designer workflows. This would allow a user to create a network in vasari for example, export to GIS, analyze it with our software, re-import to vasari and visualise the results / use them in BIM. If there is an easy way to do this that is.

The alternative is learning whatever scripting system exists within revit and vasari and interfacing our software directly with those programs. My initial reaction is that this would be harder than import/export. What do you think? (Also is there a scripting language common to both revit and vasari?)