Thread: Break pipe around annotation

Login to Give a bone

Default Break pipe around annotation

Hello,

I'm trying to create a constant size 2D symbol for a Reduced Pressure Backflow Preventer. My goal is for the annotation symbol to look like this:
    delete.png

I took the original 3D model, set all the lines to not visible in course and medium, and inserted my custom annotation family.

However, when I add the part to a pipe, the line draws itself right over the annotation symbol, with just a tiny break where the RPBFP goes:
    delete2.png

I've attached my work on the model (Centek RPBFP A) and the original (025-075_LF009-QT).

I appreciate any help I can get in making this look right!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Break pipe around annotation

Hi drdanielfc,

The reason your pipe in course detail draws itself through your RBP is because the annotation symbol size is larger than the actual distance between your two connectors. Revit will not "draw" a pipe from symbol edge lines, but from the connector itself.

3D
    3D Geometry.PNG

Course Detail Level indicating 3D connector position
    Course Detail cw 3D connector position.PNGCourse Detail cw 3D connector position.PNG

If this is a biggie for you, add a mask to the symbol which will "hide" the pipe when passing through the symbol
    RPDP Family With Masking Region.PNG

Hope this helps

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Break pipe around annotation

Hi,

I'm wrestling with this issue myself. I've created a standardized group of valve and fitting families for my company, and they all use nested Generic Annotation families for the 2D symbols. Those 2D families have masking regions in them to hide the portions of the pipe that overlap the symbol. When viewed on the screen, in Hidden Line mode, they look fine. But when printed in Vector mode, the masking regions don't work and the pipe line can be seen through the symbol.

I understand that printing in Raster mode will solve this, but it also unacceptably degrades the image quality and increases the printed file size by a factor of 5. Not acceptable. Is there some way to get the nested masking regions to work when printing in Vector mode?