Thread: Lintel Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Lintel Family

I've created a very basic masonry lintel family that is merely for graphical representation at this time. When I get some down time I would like make it smarter and actually be able to build the lintel exactly as it would be in real life, but right now my main goal is to have show up on my framing plans in a manner that complies with the standards and practices of my office. The problem I'm having is that the lintel line for plan representation is only showing up on the foundation level , -1'-0", which is far below where the actual lintel would be, such as the B.O. Opening is +7'-4". The only way that I can see it on the actual framing plans is to adjust the wall transparency in the visibility graphics override. Adjust the view template and/or the object styles isn't an issue since they've been left at the default setting of 0, but I am curious as to what problems I could be setting myself up for by adjusting the wall transparency. Does anyone have any suggestions or insight into what I may encounter? Also is there a better suggestion for achieving my goal for a lintel family for structural purposes?
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Lintel Family

simply add a symbolic 2D line into the family in the right linetype and colour you want, then assign it to "graphics" in the properties and give it a yes/no option and set the lintel itself to not show in (eg) low detail level. Now in your plan, set low detail and have th esymbolic line set to "on" as default in the family. Also set the symbolic line to not show at medium to high level detail.
    Should solve your problems. I do similar for angles that sit against walls, as the line that shows with revit is too close to the wall and blends with the wall, so I have set a left/right and central option, all with on/off toggles so I can select the displacement I want for my plans.

Login to Give a bone

Craig,

The family that I attached already has a model line in representing the lintel, all on the correct line type and color. I converted it over to a symbolic 2D line as you suggested but still get the same results of needing to adjust the wall transparency for it to actually be visible when the model is set anything but wireframe. Thanks for your suggestions.

Kyle

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Not quite...
    I just had a look in the family itself which I had not done before, as I have set these up in similar families as mentioned before.
    The line you have there is a MODEL line, not a symbolic line. You need to go into "annotate" and draw a 2D line (not the model line)...
    Actually as I am delving deeper into this family I can see it just does not work at all. The 3D view shows nothing other than the opening. I'm sorry its just not working.
    I think you need to start from scratch here. I think I would start this in a "door" family and create an extrusion in brick. The lintel you will need to regulate the limits of it so you can change the size of the opening in the family. That way say for example you set 500mm overhang (I dunno is that like 2 feet?) and lock this dimension so no matter the size of the opening, the extrusion will extend to always have a 500 overhang each side of the door opening.
    Have a look at this tutorial I think it achieves what you are after. Adding the symbolic line is simple if you can manage the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wQfzEx2Evc