Thread: Sweep column family component in a project file

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Sweep column family component in a project file

Hi, I'd like to sweep a column I made (actually modelled as a fin) in a project. I could do this on a case by case basis by importing the relevant geometry (as a 3d dwg) into the family editor and doing it there (as a nested family) but I'd like to know if I can do this directly in the project file I am working on. I'm thinking it would be more straight forward that way and I make updates or changes easier, ie I wouldn't have to go creating custom nested families each time.
    Basically what I'm trying to do is get a column family with an angle instance parameter to sweep around the facade which is has partly curved and partly straight sections. I'd like to individually control the angle parameter so arraying is obviously out as is doing it as a railing plus the spacing controls get bit funky.
    Can Revit be Rhino in this case??? Cheers, would love to know if there is a way....Marcello?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sweep column family component in a project file

Yes, you can create what is called In-Place Families. http://bradleybim.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=640&h=347 Then you will have all the modeling tools you do in the family editor. You can create parameters, etc., just like you would in the family editor. You could consider creating one in-place family with many sweeps in it or multiple in-place families each with one sweep.