Thread: par - assembly - drawing What is your preferred model structure?

Login to Give a bone

Default par - assembly - drawing What is your preferred model structure?

I'm currently looking at how models are assembled where I work.
    The current method was devised by an ex-solidworks user, and he has tried to wrangle things to impose a solidworks style solution.
    Copying sketches into multiple parts, so you need to manually change it in every part or errors, clashes and model breakage occurs.
    Creating assemblies from parts, fine, creating a master assembly of all sub-assemblies, yup, but then creating an assembly containing just the master assembly just for saving different representations??? Why? Why not have the different representations in the master assembly? Creating an assembly containing just of a sub-assembly for representations? What?!
    I'm not terribly happy with how it currently stands.

These are large and complex structures and therefore large and complex models

So my question (without divulging how I think it should be done (derived parts and/or skeletal), to avoid bias and in case I'm way off base)
    How do you do it?

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: par - assembly - drawing What is your preferred model structure?

Are you looking for things to be reactive so that if you change dimensions of a part, the rest change too? If so then deriving probably would work.
    Parametric modelling is something I dabbled with to try and do a uni assignment in Inventor as I'm more familiar modelling in inventor rather than solidworks. It taught me a few tricks, which I think helped me understand how to manage those kind of things. However the way the assignment was set, and with limited support I ended up using solidworks.

I am probably not the best example of modelling knowledge, but I often use projected geometry to sketch within an assembly to keep dimensions linked. Not sure if that is best practice, its just easy

I don't understand why anyone would make an assembly of the master assembly, unless he really doesn't know about views, and representations, level of detail etc.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: par - assembly - drawing What is your preferred model structure?

Quote Originally Posted by KCM View Post
    ...wrangle things to impose a solidworks style solution...
    Although Inventor and SolidWorks are similar, capable mid-range modelers, they operate differently. I first learned solid modeling in AutoCAD, transitioned to SW, and then to Inventor. I had the same problems which each transition, in that I was trying to apply what I learned with AutoCAD to SW and with SW to Inventor. I have also trained many SW users transitioning to Inventor. The best advice I could give them was to try to remember the theory behind the modeling, forget the actual steps, and spend the requisite time to learn Inventor from the ground up. That being said, if training and support from mgmt. is not available, the student must learn on-the-job, consuming precious resources and productivity, and if lucky, stumble upon the most efficient way to complete the tasks. Otherwise, he/she is forced to learn on his/her own time which will consume many off-work hours (...my wife frowns upon this...).

...Copying sketches into multiple parts, so you need to manually change it in every part or errors, clashes and model breakage occurs...
    Copying a sketch removes any associativity to the original. Deriving a sketch/part into a new part would be a better workflow if a link is required. Another option is to link parameters. There are other approaches, as well...

...Why not have the different representations in the master assembly?...
    Absolutely. This is my preferred approach. This can be done with either a Level of Detail (LOD) or View Representation (VeiwRep) The upper level assembly can have any number of these, which can be accessed from within the drawing environment.

I would recommend that you spend the time and money to have your ex-SW user trained in Inventor. It is obvious that his and your stress levels are high. This is hugely counter-productive and understandable, but totally avoidable. Training will add to his skill-set. Having an employee who is accomplished in SW and Inventor, will make him a much more valuable asset to your company. Feel free to have your user PM me if he needs any specific assistance.

Thanks, and good luck.