Thread: Variable Thickness Walls with Endcaps

Login to Give a bone

Default Variable Thickness Walls with Endcaps

Hello All,

Does anybody know how to create an endcap for a variable thinkness wall in ADT2006. An example would be the Stud-2.5 Air-X Stud-2.5 wall given to us in the Wall Styles - Stud (Imperial).dwg This example wall from Autodesk does not even work properly. If you change the width of the wall it messes up the endcap.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks
    Jason

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Variable Thickness Walls with Endcaps

I do not see how you could create a vairable width wall that has multiple components. The end caps will always be based on the original polylines that created them. End caps will not be variable. If you think you've found a way to have variable width endcaps, please share with us!
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CCDWAE
    Does anybody know how to create an endcap for a variable thinkness wall in ADT2006.
    There is not a way to designate a "stretchable" part of an endcap that would accommodate variable widths. If your wall is symmetrical, and your endcap involves like items wrapping around the end of the partition, you may find this blog article of interest. By overlapping the wrapping components, rather than having them just meet, you can cover a range of widths. Depending upon the expected widths, you may be able to set up two or three endcap styles that would cover them all, rather than a separate style for each width.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

This sounds like a good wish list item.

Login to Give a bone

By all means, go ahead and make it a wish.

Login to Give a bone

This solution is a decent work around if you only have one composite type! What about putting a veneer on the outside? Especially if you want the veneer to wrap back to the front face of the inside wall at doors/windows.
    Last edited by sengdahl; 2006-07-25 at 07:05 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sengdahl
    This solution is a decent work around if you only have one composite type! What about putting a veneer on the outside? Especially if you want the veneer to wrap back to the front face of the inside wall at doors/windows.
    As noted in my first reply, the technique only works for walls that are symetrical - same materials on each side of center, and where any material that wraps the end does so by joining with its counterpart from the other side.

If the ability to have a truly variable width endcap is important to you, post a wish HERE. You may want to review the Wish List Guidelines first.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    There is not a way to designate a "stretchable" part of an endcap that would accommodate variable widths. If your wall is symmetrical, and your endcap involves like items wrapping around the end of the partition, you may find this blog article of interest. By overlapping the wrapping components, rather than having them just meet, you can cover a range of widths. Depending upon the expected widths, you may be able to set up two or three endcap styles that would cover them all, rather than a separate style for each width.
    This has been on my wish list for quite a while, I use mostly a variable width stud wall (mostly between 3-1/5" to 5-1/2") with 1" sheathing on each side, I'd like very much to see an overlapping solution work, lets say I have an overlapping endcap style designed for a 3-1/2" wall in which case overlapping would give me exactly double that amount (7") which would work for me in most cases. I've been playing around for quite a while now trying to make it work but didn't get anywhere, could someone here please help me out here?

I have attached a drawing (ACA 2013 Format) with two walls inside, the lower one is the endcap example (3.5" interior wall with 5/8 gypsum on each side) I'm trying to copy. The upper one is the wall I currently use (variable width interior with 1" gypsum on each side) but as you can see it's currently missing any endcap style.
    Attached Files Attached Files