See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who got to choose their CAD software?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Who got to choose their CAD software?

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    the thing that's been apparent for many years now, is that the customers of CAD software vendors, whether Adesk, the Brothers Bentley, Dassault, Graebert, the Belgians or the Russians, etc etc etc, are only rarely users. Especially with large accounts, the check writers/deciders are up in the C-suite, and have at best a very limited understanding of what the software is capable of and what its limitations are.

Those who both buy and use their own software have an incredibly small voice when they spend hundreds of dollars in subscription/licensing per account, vs the CIO who drops a million or so every year. Sort like the GM of a car dealership buying all his mechanics tools from Harbour Freight instead of SnapOn.
    You're surely not suggesting that company directors should bother to learn how their companies actually work ?!

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I am about to state something which will sound very off topic, but I promise to bring it back to the subject at hand. I love pencils. It's actually rare to find me without one assuming I am in any type of professional situation. I really enjoy mechanical pencils too. I'll purchase a fairly expensive pencil as long as I like the look, shape, feel, and drawing quality it produces. I'll also openly bad mouth any pencil that doesn't meet my normal standards and explain in great detail why I don't like it (assuming I'm not just borrowing it, of course). I became this way from my days of drawing by hand back in school and for a very short time professionally.

I find CAD software is the same way. People like the feel of certain CAD software over other CAD software. They will talk bad about other software because the interface is a bit different from what they are used to or the way it draws is slightly different. Also, you need to produce drawings in a certain way / format. If you get used to doing it one way then you will look for those tools in the next software package. Can't find them? You'll then scrutinize and criticize it. Not much different really from not being able to find your favorite architecture/engineering scale or french curves or templates to simplify drawing your shapes to scale.

But at its heart, it's still CAD software that can likely do the same job just as well (assuming it is a proper tool designed for the job). The same can be said for the pencil, most pencils are designed to allow for the proper drawing of lines if you just get used to using them.

So to answer the question directly... CAD software is usually chosen based on cost, personal experience, industry standards, project requirements, hardware requirements, and the ability to hire individuals that can run and support it. But if all things are equal, you will always go back to your perfect pencil, defend your choice for picking it, and treasure it until the next perfect pencil for the job needs to be picked up. Substitute Pencil for Software and the answers are the same.

Login to Give a bone

Nice one, Brian. As usual.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    ... most pencils are designed to allow for the proper drawing of lines....
    Didn't you know that it takes an Expert to properly draw lines?

... Just can't seem to help myself:

Happy Friday, everyone!
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have been paid to be that "expert" for nearly a decade now.

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Munford View Post
    I was discussing the merits of various CAD packages with my buddy the other day, and I was thinking about why I use the CAD software I do (AutoCAD & Inventor).

I have a question for the group - why do you use the CAD software that you do?

Did you get to examine a number of different CAD packages before you made your choice?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Paul
    I know this is an old thread.
    IMO, the very basic point is that you have to have the experience on the using of the CAD packages that you were comparing with, assuming you are in the position for choosing the software. Otherwise it would be better to keep what you are using now. You would be on fire if you don't really know that proposed software and you lead your company heading in the wrong direction.
    This is just my thought.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123