Thread: New to piping environment

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default New to piping environment

Hello everybody!

I am new to the piping environment in inventor. After watching almost every clip i found i am still left with some questions and hope somebody can shad some light on this:

1) we usually use welded pipes (curves, tees etc..) but all the valves filters and so on are added via flanges to the pipes. so they can be replaced if needed. In inventor if i chose a welded pipe and then add a flanged component it is not adding the two flanges to the pipe itself. how can i fix this?

2) if i use a pipe type in different diameters, do i have to copy the style for each diameter i am using? Is that correct?

3) i draw a pipe, a few meters long, and place a tee in the middle. When i now want to make a new pipe i can attach it with no problems to the Tee, but not to the two open ends of the pipe. why?

4) flange and valve selection in the content center is quite limited and in no way similar to what we are actually using. how can i make my own one if i already have the 3D model? I mean, do i have to edit the model in order to have a copy for each size? do i have to specify somehow what the inlets and outlets of the valve are?

5) if i change diameter with a reducer, is it apropriate to make a new pipe for the smaller diameter or is it better to have it all on the same line and then manually change diamter?

Thank you!

Igor

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New to piping environment

Quote Originally Posted by frifer View Post
    Hello everybody!

I am new to the piping environment in inventor. After watching almost every clip i found i am still left with some questions and hope somebody can shad some light on this:

1) we usually use welded pipes (curves, tees etc..) but all the valves filters and so on are added via flanges to the pipes. so they can be replaced if needed. In inventor if i chose a welded pipe and then add a flanged component it is not adding the two flanges to the pipe itself. how can i fix this?

2) if i use a pipe type in different diameters, do i have to copy the style for each diameter i am using? Is that correct?

3) i draw a pipe, a few meters long, and place a tee in the middle. When i now want to make a new pipe i can attach it with no problems to the Tee, but not to the two open ends of the pipe. why?

4) flange and valve selection in the content center is quite limited and in no way similar to what we are actually using. how can i make my own one if i already have the 3D model? I mean, do i have to edit the model in order to have a copy for each size? do i have to specify somehow what the inlets and outlets of the valve are?

5) if i change diameter with a reducer, is it apropriate to make a new pipe for the smaller diameter or is it better to have it all on the same line and then manually change diamter?

Thank you!

Igor
    1.)Even though your pipes are welded, set your Pipe Style as Flanged. it will ask you to specify a flange and gasket touse for flanged connections. Specify a weld neck flange and you'll be golden.

2.)Yes, you must have a tube & pipe style for each pipe size you will use. http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.co...lkthrough.html

3.)I would need to know more about how you are building your routes. Can you post screen shots at least? maybe a video?

4.)You can Author and Publish as many fittings, valves and instruments as you like. You do need to have a model for each item, in each size. Iparts are great for some things, others it can be very difficult. A lot of models are available for download from Manufacturers websites, but the still need to be Authored. This tells Inventor where the connection points are and which direction the flow is going. Publishing adds the fitting(s) the Content Center so they can be used in T&P.

5.)This is a question for the ages. I'm afraid that right now it can go either way. For me, if the length of pipe downstream of the reducer is short and has no fittings on it, I usually leave it all as one route and change diameter on the short end. If the segment downstream is quite long and contains a lot of fittings, bends or intrumentation, I will generally start a new route at the outlet of the reducer, in the smaller size. This has been raised as a wish list item for Inventor, I'm hoping they'll consider it! http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.co...wish-list.html , http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.co...st-part-2.html

Check out some of the other T&P posts on my blog, and if you can get to AU this year, come to my (first ever) class: MD5386 Going With The Flow with Inventor Tube & Pipe. If you need more help, and can't find me here, I spend a lot of time on the Autodesk forums and Twitter.