Thread: Transparent Layer Manager

Wish List Administration

Default Transparent Layer Manager

Summary: make changes without having to close the layer manager

Description: I would just like the layer manager to be a transparent command like other dialog boxes in autocad. it would be nice to be able to check what layer is associated to what feature without having to close the layer translator dialog box and have to reopen it and reload the template every time you run across a layer with a non standard name

Product and Feature: AutoCAD Civil 3D - Other

Submitted By: Larry Richards on 07/07/2014

Default Re: Transparent Layer Manager

Not sure exactly what is meant by transparent, but the Layer Manager dialog can be transparent (more aptly defined as non-model), and it can be transparent (defined as see-through).
    Is there another meaning that I am missing?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Quote Originally Posted by Wish List System View Post

Description: I would just like the layer manager to be a transparent command like other dialog boxes in autocad. it would be nice to be able to check what layer is associated to what feature without having to close the layer translator dialog box and have to reopen it and reload the template every time you run across a layer with a non standard name

Sounds like the OP is identifying non-standard layers, and using LAYTRANS, not Layer Manager Palette to modify.

Never thought of going that route; I always just Right Click Rename the layer(s) personally.

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Not sure exactly what is meant by transparent, but the Layer Manager dialog can be transparent (more [correctly referred to] as [modeless]), and it can be transparent (defined as see-through).
    Is there another meaning that I am missing?
    FTFY
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Also, what does this have to do with Civil 3D specifically (if anything)?

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Sounds like the OP is identifying non-standard layers, and using LAYTRANS, not Layer Manager Palette to modify.

Never thought of going that route; I always just Right Click Rename the layer(s) personally.
    I use LAYTRANS alot, and what's nice is you can force entities that are on wrong layers to a known layer, including forcing it's properties to ByLayer, etc.
    Renaming the bad layer to a correct layer wouldn't work if the correct layer exists in the drawing already, and it wouldn't force the properties to ByLayer if you wanted to.

I use the settings within LAYTRANS to allow me to preview "what" is on each layer I'm translating, it gives me a better guess on what layer it "should" be on.

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I use LAYTRANS alot, and what's nice is you can force entities that are on wrong layers to a known layer, including forcing it's properties to ByLayer, etc.
    Renaming the bad layer to a correct layer wouldn't work if the correct layer exists in the drawing already, and it wouldn't force the properties to ByLayer if you wanted to.

I use the settings within LAYTRANS to allow me to preview "what" is on each layer I'm translating, it gives me a better guess on what layer it "should" be on.

FWIW
    I've never used LAYTRANS for production; never needed to, hence the plug-in limitations.

However, you've (unwittingly?) given me a pair of enhancement ideas, and for that, I thank you - to implement a bit-coded setting that would be: (0) disabled (not do either), (1) enabled, prompt (default), (2) enabled always force... Each the ability to LAYMRG if the entered layer already exists, and set entities to ByLayer.

Cheers

[Edit] - I may just make these independent plug-ins instead; as each can technically be associated with an independent Command, and it might make more sense to end-users that way.
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-07-31 at 03:19 PM.

Computer Specs:

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Transparent Layer Manager

Transparent Layer Manager