Thread: Changing the visability of structural elements within a wall type

Login to Give a bone

Default Changing the visability of structural elements within a wall type

I have an insulated precast concrete wall that I want to change the cut pattern of just the concrete element that will be used for bearing. The wall has an outer finish of concrete, an insulation layer and an inner layer of concrete. The inner layer is my bearing element, but if the outer concrete layer changes I am okay with that. The wrench in the gears is that I am working in a central model environment, and the architects have one way that they want the wall elements displayed and for my structural drawings I want the wall to display differently. If I edit the wall type then the architects display changes. I have tried filters through the visibility graphics, but it greys out the insulation layer as well. Has anyone found a solution to doing this?

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Changing the visability of structural elements within a wall type

If you are working in the same model as the architect the only way i see is to use parts. That way you can turn off the wall and only keep the part you are interested in then you can do whatever you want with the structure.
    Uncheck Material by Original for the part and assign what you want

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Changing the visability of structural elements within a wall type

Composite walls are one of my pet hates, I have posted several times on this topic.
    Firstly, mostly because Architects don't want to consider any flow on effects, or because they simply don't know about it, composite walls are impossible to control with graphics.
    This leaves you with pretty much 2 options - use a shaded area (2d component) in place of any walls that have been built as composites - this option removes the entire point of having a shared model as this shaded area will not move if the wall moves which leaves you open to errors down the track (obviously this is a bad option).

The second option is copy monitoring the wall - when you copy monitor you have the option of using a replacement of your own choice in place of that element, and to represent that element.
    This means you can place a wall over their wall that WILL update if their wall moves. This is a better option but is still not ideal.

The final option is to request your architect not use composite walls because graphically removing non-structural elements is actually literally impossible.
    You can hide the outer layer for example, BUT this will still leave you with the material hatch floating in outerspace next to your wall faces...honestly composite walls are not well designed for flow on disciplines. I am sure they are really useful for architects though.

This is something that needs to go on to wishlists, because honestly it is really frustrating and a huge time waster for something that just needs a simple graphic update done to be able to turn off the hatches that belong to composite parts.