Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I explain the benefits of not having all floors in a single xref

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default How do I explain the benefits of not having all floors in a single xref

I just changed companies.
    We are consulting engineers, so we use the arch plans as an xref.

I am use to having 1 xref/background per floor.

Here they copy the objects from Floor-1 and paste them into their BasePlans
    Then they copy the objects from Floor-2 and paste them into their BasePlans but with an offset of 500'

and this pattern through all floors and roof.

They also are still using the method of one drawing, Plumbing Drawing, for all the floors with multiple layouts.

I feel this is extremely antiquated, and looking for a list of benefits of moving to 1 xref/background per floor, so we, as a company, can move forward in a efficient direction.

Any help is appreciated,
    Andre

P.S. I won't even get started on how the use defpoints for ANYTHING they don't want to print.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I explain the benefits of not having all floors in a single xref

Quote Originally Posted by ReachAndre View Post
    I just changed companies.
    We are consulting engineers, so we use the arch plans as an xref.

I am use to having 1 xref/background per floor.

Here they copy the objects from Floor-1 and paste them into their BasePlans
    Then they copy the objects from Floor-2 and paste them into their BasePlans but with an offset of 500'

and this pattern through all floors and roof.

They also are still using the method of one drawing, Plumbing Drawing, for all the floors with multiple layouts.

I feel this is extremely antiquated, and looking for a list of benefits of moving to 1 xref/background per floor, so we, as a company, can move forward in a efficient direction.

Any help is appreciated,
    Andre

P.S. I won't even get started on how they use defpoints for ANYTHING they don't want to print.
    Wow, really? I... I can't even fathom.

Okay, how would I talk people out of this?

Reusing plans?
    Floor one's corner should have a basepoint of 0,0,0 (or a real world coordinate system, if you like),
    and Floor two's corner should have a basepoint of 0,0,0.

Simplifies x-refs and plotting by creating one template and using it for each floor.
    Publishing/batch plotting as well because you could just use one set of plot instructions.

Also, when tracing a leak from floor two to see any affects on the floor below... just xref them together, since they're both at 0,0, they should overlay perfectly.

I'm sure there must be other reasons that aren't occurring to me right now.

I always kept things separate for ease of use by my users, too.
    If they want the 2nd floor, they open up the plan for the 2nd floor... no need to risk confusion in deciding which is first or which is second because of the last saved view or temprorary insanity on the part of the viewer.
    I also kept all disciplines separate for the same reason... piping guys only need to see piping, no need to make them go through and turn off all of the electrical layers, etc. And, only for the specific floor... some of the floors looked similar, but, had different setups, due to the patient types being served... you don't want to make a mistake when it comes to that.

Renovation for one specific area? Grab each plan from that floor and that floor alone (unless risers are effected), because the contractors don't need any more chances for confusion in the existing conditions.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I explain the benefits of not having all floors in a single xref

Hmmmm. Those work processes can lead to all sorts of problems.

But, you've got a bigger one: you're the new guy. They have procedures which were established over years, and unless managing and updating work procedures are part of your job description trying to force a change (no matter how logical or beneficial) just isn't going to work.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    But, you've got a bigger one: you're the new guy. They have procedures which were established over years, and unless managing and updating work procedures are part of your job description trying to force a change (no matter how logical or beneficial) just isn't going to work.
    Oh, come on, why you gotta go and bring reality into this discussion?

Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

At the end of the day it all comes down to money. If you can make a case that there is a more productive and efficient way of doing stuff that will improve the bottom line then most companies will at least entertain the thought.

Along the same lines, what is it going to take to get everyone in the company up to speed with the new thought process of doing stuff?

More question come up, like how is the company with embracing new ideas, implanting new software, making sure the server and hardware are updated, are the CAD users set in there ways and not willing to change to new ideas. If new company standards are implemented who enforces them and are you held accountable for not following them. If the answer to these questions and other similar questions are on the negative side then more then likely it will be a struggle to make any kind of suggestion that would improve the situation. (Based on my experience)

Visually showing someone, especially people who aren't CAD savvy, how something can benefit the company works better then talking about the ideas too.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    But, you've got a bigger one: you're the new guy....trying to force a change (no matter how logical or beneficial) just isn't going to work.
    I know and it sucks because I have to change to a much older/slower way of doing things because They don't want to see so many DWG files in the folder, it confuses them and makes the folder hard to read.

Half seem to think sheetset manager is great, the other half are annoyed it pops up and dont see why they should have to learn something new. They've been doing it this way for 25 years and it works fine...........It works fine for 25 years ago, now it s*cks

Login to Give a bone

.....resume time....

Login to Give a bone

I know and it sucks because I have to change to a much older/slower way of doing things because They don't want to see so many DWG files in the folder, it confuses them and makes the folder hard to read.

Half seem to think sheetset manager is great, the other half are annoyed it pops up and dont see why they should have to learn something new. They've been doing it this way for 25 years and it works fine...........It works fine for 25 years ago, now it s*cks
    Ah. Yeah, the many files thing is why I had each discipline in different directories, plus implemented sheet sets.
    Most of the guys ended up LOVING sheet sets. Easy to click through and batch plot just the floors they needed. Beautiful.

Best of luck.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Of course, it didn't really work "just fine" 25 years ago - it was just the best method available and marginally better than pencil and paper.
    You need to convince the boss man that it will be cheaper in the long run, cause ffewer mistakes and misunderstandings on site and make it easier to collaborate with all the other organisations involved with each project.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

While trying to drag things forward, do NOT ignore how you plan to handle legacy files. The company likely has hundreds if not thousands of drawings which may need to be updated which will require additional cost and time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast