Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I explain the benefits of not having all floors in a single xref

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I explain the benefits of not having all floors in a single xref

Quote Originally Posted by ReachAndre View Post

Here they copy the objects from Floor-1 and paste them into their BasePlans
    Then they copy the objects from Floor-2 and paste them into their BasePlans but with an offset of 500'

and this pattern through all floors and roof.
    Could you explain a little further about Floor-1 plans and BasePlans.
    What is being copied?
    How are the Floor-1 drawings used versus BasePlans?

The cost for the extra work to work this way should be one consideration for management. Then there is the inevitable problems found during construction because the company didn't keep one drawing and xref in to other drawings, which can result in big costs. The fact that extra files in a folder confuse them is really funny. If they have a good naming method it shouldn't matter how many files are in there.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I explain the benefits of not having all floors in a single xref

Quote Originally Posted by ReachAndre View Post
    I just changed companies.
    We are consulting engineers, so we use the arch plans as an xref.

I am use to having 1 xref/background per floor.

Here they copy the objects from Floor-1 and paste them into their BasePlans
    Then they copy the objects from Floor-2 and paste them into their BasePlans but with an offset of 500'

and this pattern through all floors and roof.

They also are still using the method of one drawing, Plumbing Drawing, for all the floors with multiple layouts.

I feel this is extremely antiquated, and looking for a list of benefits of moving to 1 xref/background per floor, so we, as a company, can move forward in a efficient direction.

Any help is appreciated,
    Andre

P.S. I won't even get started on how the use defpoints for ANYTHING they don't want to print.
    And the architects with whom you work never issue revised drawings? Assuming they do, then you have to erase the existing plan(s) and copy in the information all over again, for each update? My condolences.

As for the Defpoints issue, you are preaching to the choir here. Ever since they allowed user-defined non-plotting layers, I never use Defpoints for anything I create. But I know plenty of others who do.... ~cringe~

Login to Give a bone

depending on the firm size, this might not be a big issue, but with the single "plumbing drawing" you can only have 1 person working on that file at a time. When in a time crunch, you could otherwise have 1 person working on floor 1 and someone else on floor 2.

Login to Give a bone

I do feel for you. For some people it is impossible to get them to understand. This was always a bad practice, but somewhere down the line an old user who actually was a very good designer as far as presentation is concerned, did this and they were sold on it. If you have to copy it from one file to another, why bother it is a wasted effort and will never automatically update as the project moves forward.

I have a similar problem with Electrical users that want to always reference in the Mechanical construction drawing backgrounds. Yes the do get the up to date background, but many times a Mechanical construction drawing is renumbered or deleted and you totally lose your reference.

Sounds like your company needs to be rounded up on the defpoints thing. Nothing really wrong with having other no plot layers, but establish a short list of layers overall and reel them into it. Easy to manage from the CAD Standards application that way also.

When it comes time to issue the final drawings to the client in electronic format, have management sit with you while you tediously go through all this nonsense to clean it up and they will begin to appreciate the best practices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12