See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Wide Format Plotters

Login to Give a bone

Default Wide Format Plotters

Hi everyone! Looking at purchasing a wide format plotter and in need of opinions. We currently have a 12yr old HP designjet 800ps. It prints nicely however maintenance is becoming an everyday occurance along with compatibility issues.

We print CAD drawings along with posters. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wide Format Plotters

Quote Originally Posted by jande43 View Post
    Hi everyone! Looking at purchasing a wide format plotter and in need of opinions. We currently have a 12yr old HP designjet 800ps. It prints nicely however maintenance is becoming an everyday occurance along with compatibility issues.

We print CAD drawings along with posters. Thanks.
    I always ran HPs over the years, had probably 5 of them... gave them all away when they were still operational (although getting a bit slow plotting bigger and newer drawings, memory issues for the most part).
    The 800 I bought back in the day is still running, but, the last two plotters I had to replace, pretty much the only thing in my price range was Canon.
    I did have to replace the carriage and one other part on the 800, and a belt on my 750, but, aside from that, they worked without needing a lot of attention.

I was happy enough with the quality and performance of both of the Canons. They were 1 year old and 3 years old when I left my company, and I hadn't had to do maintenance on them yet. Obviously, I can't speak to their long-term performance, or how they'd do under heavy use... I tried to get my guys to do as much electronic review as possible, so we weren't do much printing by the end.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jande43 View Post
    Looking at purchasing a wide format plotter and in need of opinions. We currently have a 12yr old HP designjet 800ps.
    What is your budget?
    Do you need the same features as the HP800? More? Fewer? IOW... color? dpi? speed? 42/44" capacity?

You might check the last few reviews here:
    http://www.cadalyst.com/listing/31/wide-format-printers
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

My office has an HP Designjet T2300. My only complaint is that the paper rolls are loaded from the rear and the display and levers, etc are all on the front so loading or changing paper rolls requires dancing around from back to front and side to side of the machine. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with its performance. We upgraded from a 15-year-old 750c

Login to Give a bone

I've got a T2300 here as well. Other than the paper change dance mentioned, my complaint with that plotter is that for the price, the plots ought to be handled better than dropping all curled up into a cloth bin. Do one or two plots -- not so bad. Send off a half dozen copies of a 30 sheet set--- different story. I need to baby sit it through out the job, or spend just as much time sorting through the disordered sheets afterwards.

The replacement for the t2300 apparently has a stacker, with the sheets coming out the back.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jgrande26 View Post
    My office has an HP Designjet T2300. My only complaint is that the paper rolls are loaded from the rear and the display and levers, etc are all on the front so loading or changing paper rolls requires dancing around from back to front and side to side of the machine. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with its performance. We upgraded from a 15-year-old 750c
    Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    I've got a T2300 here as well. Other than the paper change dance mentioned, my complaint with that plotter is that for the price, the plots ought to be handled better than dropping all curled up into a cloth bin. Do one or two plots -- not so bad. Send off a half dozen copies of a 30 sheet set--- different story. I need to baby sit it through out the job, or spend just as much time sorting through the disordered sheets afterwards.

The replacement for the t2300 apparently has a stacker, with the sheets coming out the back.
    I considered the T2300 MFP, but didn't like the reduced print rates, given that we were already stepping down from a black-only KIP laser printer (mind you even the T2300 is a step up in every other aspect!).

I ended up leasing my office a new HP DesignJet T7100 (3-roll, front loading, 6-ink) plotter, and 500 sheet Stacker about a month ago.

It's been a great improvement over using just the basket, as I did with my former employer coincidentally... I didn't seek this model, but asked for multiple proposals given our requirements, and this was the best deal, saving us +/- $12K over the term from what we were paying.

I do however have two issues with the stacker, which has otherwise been a Godsend, frankly....

First is that the stacker includes a heat element, so no more dry time, etc. as the prints are fed directly into the stacker with haste. The issue there, is that the stacker doesn't support Mylar (matte film)!

User sends print to Mylar (which we do not often need, but still), the printer knows Mylar isn't compatible, so it pauses the print job and prompts user to select OK to continue printing without stacker. Physically detach the stacker, hit OK. User is then prompted that the stacker must be uninstalled... But I just hit OK to print without stacker, and it's not phsyically detached... So now go to Setup, Accessories, and uninstall stacker. User is then prompted to select OK to go to print queue... but I've both opted to print without stacker, which isn't physically attached, and now uninstalled the stacker. User goes to queue, selects their print job, and selects continue.

Now, it does take exponentially longer for me to write this then the process actually takes - just pointing out how illogical the procedure is - okay, so now we're printing on Mylar.

Wait; where are my prints going to land if I've disconnected the stacker?!

Second issue, is that the basket which comes with T7100 OOTB, was not designed to 'fit' when stacker is physically attached... Err... The stacker was not designed to 'strattle' the basket, on the bottom rails with wheels. So, one is relegated to physically detaching the stacker, which is still connected by cables of to the right side, and then has to go get the basket (if not baby sitting the plotter to catch each-and-every-single print when cut), and slide it under before the first sheet is cut. That's ironic, as a very small change to the design of the stacker's 'footprint' would allow for the basket to stay under the T7100 as it does not conflict with the stacker in any other capacity, and the T7100's 'footprint' is measurably wider that the stacker, so there's room if that makes sense.

If the stacker were designed properly, the heat element would be on a mechanical arm that lifts away from mylar sheet being fed through stacker, and a simple fan system would blow cool, external air over the mylar in lieu of a 'hangining dry time' (which with 80% ink here, is only +/- 10 seconds anyway).

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

We use a Oce Colorwave 300. It was in the $19,000 neighborhood and included a scanner. Which I didn't think we would use the scanner but it has been a blessing to have. 2 rolls of paper, loads at the front, stacker on top and accessed from the front. We don't print posters just line type drawings. 600x1200dpi

Pros
    Putting paper in is super easy. Front access stacker, ink is again easy to install on the front.

Cons
    It's a little finicky with the printheads. Sometimes it says to change them even after you change one. Printheads and ink are outrageously priced as is the maintenance tray. There is no storage for supplies. For as much as it costs you would think they could fit a little cabinet to put ink tanks and print heads into. When you put paper in the machine it adjusts it and trims the front end which falls into a basket underneath. 1-2 out of 10 times the paper falls on the floor in the back and misses the basket.

Summary
    We have had this machine 3 years. We mostly have no issues with the machine. Maybe 1 time a year do I have to call someone in to look at it. We don't pay any monthly fees or have a maintenance agreement. It's a great machine as it operates with little to no issues from day to day but expensive to purchase. I would imagine supplies are similar cost to other brands. I don't know that any other machine out there is better, I've looked at different ones and to me it just seems like a different set of problems. So no better or worse just different.