See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: One Key Shortcuts

Login to Give a bone

Default One Key Shortcuts

I've noticed that other CAD software lets to start commands with just one button. So, why doesn't AutoCAD have this feature? Yes, it has the command line, but why not to add an additional layout to keyboard with commands which can be easily turned on/off like switching between languages? For example, I want to type just one button instead of "xl" and "enter" and I want to choose which button to use for this. Someone has thought about it as well and made a solution. It even lets to assign to one button a command with prompts, such as "xl" "enter" "h" "enter" for the horizontal xline. Here is a demonstration video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vFpkHytR3E

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: One Key Shortcuts

Why not go back to using a tablet (digitiser)?

tablet-line.png

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Having to switch to shortcut mode, hit a key, then switch back to normal mode doesn't sound very productive. Learn how to use Keyboard Shortcuts, Temporary Override Keys, the Ribbon, and Tool Palettes and you'll understand. What could be simpler than picking Construction Line (xline) from the ribbon? You can add macros to the ribbon for Horizontal & Vertical if you want, I'd just pick Hor or Ver option with the mouse.

It's already overwhelming for many all the ways you can customize AutoCAD. Running out of room on the smaller status line in 2015 adding something like that would create even more protests. I'd be happy if all they do with 2016 is fix all the issues created in 2015.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Why not go back to using a tablet (digitiser)?

tablet-line.png
    Good times....

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

if you know how to use autolisp, you can write your on commands that may work with auto cad. the only problem is if auto cad is already using one key stroke as a command. I prefer using two-key method for our most common blocks such as typing 24 will insert a 2x4 light fixture.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    Having to switch to shortcut mode, hit a key, then switch back to normal mode doesn't sound very productive. Learn how to use Keyboard Shortcuts, Temporary Override Keys, the Ribbon, and Tool Palettes and you'll understand. What could be simpler than picking Construction Line (xline) from the ribbon? You can add macros to the ribbon for Horizontal & Vertical if you want, I'd just pick Hor or Ver option with the mouse.

It's already overwhelming for many all the ways you can customize AutoCAD. Running out of room on the smaller status line in 2015 adding something like that would create even more protests. I'd be happy if all they do with 2016 is fix all the issues created in 2015.
    They also have removed the classical workspace from 2015, it's possible to get it back though, but requires additional steps.

Switching keyboard mode is faster than changing ribbon tab, no need to move mouse. When the most used commands are on shortcuts, there is no need to switch often. It turns off automatically for typing text and switches back.

In standard AutoCAD shortcuts combination of keys are involved, hence it's not convenient to use keys which are far from the shift button. To be honest, I don't like ribbon, I need to make extra mouse clicks to change tabs. Unification doesn't work here, each software has it's own interface which works best.

To pick construction line from the ribbon I have to move mouse, select tab, then click on the tiny icon, than move the mouse back. If I use one key shortcut, I push one button and don't move my mouse there and back.

The sentence "learn how to use keyboard shortcuts, temporary override keys, the ribbon" etc. sounds like "learn how to use AutoCAD". I've tried these things and aliases as well, still, I wasn't satisfied and went to Autodesk Exchange. In my opinion, that place is for people who want to be beyond ordinary, to go beyond ordinary tools. I've found another app for adding drawing tabs for AutoCAD versions without them.
    Last edited by JohnyShield; 2014-07-25 at 08:14 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by vtmiii View Post
    if you know how to use autolisp, you can write your on commands that may work with auto cad. the only problem is if auto cad is already using one key stroke as a command. I prefer using two-key method for our most common blocks such as typing 24 will insert a 2x4 light fixture.
    That's interesting. Do you press "enter" after typing "24"?

Login to Give a bone

The easiest way to have several one (1) key 'commands' that work with AutoCAD, is to purchase a macro-enabled device - I personally use a Logitech G602 Mouse (months of battery life, BTW!), G510S back-lit Keyboard, and I used to use a G13 as well... Yes, for daily CAD production.

These unique 'keys' can be assigned multi-key macros such as (see below), and use recording software to capture each KeyDown, and KeyUp event:

Code:
    <Shift> "_" </Shift> "x" "l" "i" "n" "e" <Enter> </Enter> <Shift> "_" </Shift> "h" <Enter> </Enter>

... Or simply:

Code:
    <Shift> "_" </Shift> "c" "e" "n" <Enter> </Enter>

Another way to manage your keyboard shortcuts (aka 'aliases', see Acad.pgp), depending on what version you're using, is this custom Managed HotKeys plug-in.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000