Thread: Cannot Edit Family Error- Revit 2015

Login to Give a bone

Default Cannot Edit Family Error- Revit 2015

Has anyone ever seen this error? We have been consistently getting this and having interment unrecoverable errors in our file. I opened a case with Autodesk but wanted to see what other users thought.

Thank you everyone.
    -John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot Edit Family Error- Revit 2015

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnp View Post
    Has anyone ever seen this error? We have been consistently getting this and having interment unrecoverable errors in our file. I opened a case with Autodesk but wanted to see what other users thought.

Thank you everyone.
    -John

any more info on the projecT?how many other users? how often is it happen, to what families etc.

my first guess is its rights issues/synching has gotten messed up and your copy is out of date (assuming this is a central model and you are in your local copy)

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Haven't seen that in ages. Can you save the family from the project browser?

Login to Give a bone

We were able to save all the families out, then reload them into the project. It caused huge amounts of trouble. We couldn't edit any types of walls, families or even change a door swing. NOw and then we get the error again, so we just follow the same process.

-John

Login to Give a bone

We are experiencing the same issue, but we are unable to save the families out. Did you find out what was causing this and if there is a fix?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Have you installed Revit 2015 update release 3?
    http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...release-3.html

Although unrelated, there is also a hotfix for multi-category schedules:
    http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...schedules.html

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Having the exact same issue here. Cannot edit some families, cannot save them individually (i.e. right-click in project browser), cannot save them all (R --> Save As --> Library --> Family). This happens in one single RVT file (workshared) only, another RVT in this same project has some of these exact same families loaded which are editable in there (as well as savable). Both these files were upgraded from 2014 to 2015 at the start of last year.

The main problem I have now is that these families (which are un-editable and un-savable) cause crashes any time one of their instances are "touched" (e.g. changing an instance / type parameter). An unrecoverable error pops up, asked to save recovery file, but even stating "Yes" saves nothing - all work lost.

I've been able to "fix" some of it by finding the original RFA files, opening them and allowing the upgrade, then import and overwrite in the project file. Then they're editable and savable (but more importantly the crashes no longer occurs with those families). So obviously it seems to be some corruption which has occurred due to the project upgrade. Unfortunately though this takes an age (since it's 100's of families) and I'm not always able to find the original RFA files.

If I could only somehow export them to RFA's then I can run the upgrade addon and load all of them. But for that first step this would be easily fixable. And yes, the Revit is updated with the latest update release and I've applied all hotfixes I could find thereafter. Problem still happens. I even tried one computer with a Revit updated in the subscription cycle (i.e. with search abilities in things like family selection) and another with the "normal" updates applied - both give the same crash and unsavable / unediable problem.

Anyone know of another addon (or something) which could export the raw data of those families to RFA files? The built-in save as simply doesn't do it. Just pops up with an "Unable to save "Family Name" dialog with a Close button only.